PDA

View Full Version : Tiling around bath

kandjc
10th August 2005, 12:38 PM
What are users opinions for a row of tiles on the flat around a bath tub:
Do I lay the tiles before placing the bath and thus the bath sits on top of the tiles on a sealant bead OR do I fit the bath and tile up to the bath edge leaving a gap for sealant? The bath is enamelled iron. Placing the bath first and tiling up to would be easier. but is it better?
Thanks,
K

Bella
10th August 2005, 04:41 PM
They way we did it (which is probably wrong) we put the bath in and put some packers underneath parts of the rim at the height of the tiles, then later we laid the tiles so they slipped under the lip and removed the packers at the same time. Then we siliconed the rim.

ausdesign
11th August 2005, 10:19 AM
Use Bellas method but instead of 'packers' a continuous frame under the rim allowing space for the tiles.
Best results are achieved if there is no load on the tiles.

julianx
14th August 2005, 12:48 AM
IMHO I would never install a bath with a row of tiles the flat it is so much easier for water to get in and rot the framing I have seen many instances of this. Also unless the tiles are laid with good fall on them water will pool on them especially if there is a row of tiles between the bath and the wall.

mic-d
16th August 2005, 11:50 AM
You will probably find installing the bath first easier, but as Julian said, water damage is possble unless you totally waterproof the entire area before laying the tiles.

CHeers
Michael

Bella
16th August 2005, 04:44 PM
IMHO I would never install a bath with a row of tiles the flat it is so much easier for water to get in and rot the framing I have seen many instances of this. Also unless the tiles are laid with good fall on them water will pool on them especially if there is a row of tiles between the bath and the wall.

Didn't your Mother teach you to dry down the bath after use?? tut tut

Termite
16th August 2005, 05:08 PM
Didn't your Mother teach you to dry down the bath after use?? tut tut
Yes, but by the next Saturday night I'd forgotten. :D