PDA

View Full Version : the corn patch

pjt
10th February 2016, 01:22 AM
I like a bit of fresh corn, eaten raw just picked or 3 mins in some boiling water and a dob of butter, this year I had 2 seed packets from Green Harvest to go in, here's a few pics of the corn patch and how it evolved for the season, the first pic is about the middle of Nov. so I got the first lot in a couple of weeks before, I did something different in that I dug trenches and then planted the seeds in the trench, my reason being that you can then fill in the trench when the second set of roots start to emerge, as it turned out it also was good for watering as the water would collect in the trench right where the seed was.
In the third there is also a patch of green manure growing, sunflowers, lab lab, millet and a few other grasses. Under the plastic is some compost that will be spread on top of the green manure.

The first block with the trenches filled in and a closeup of ears , although it just looks like a leaves, on some stalks they had 5 ears, I didn't get 5 full ears develop, 2 was usual, at a guess I reckon the others might be backup if something goes wrong with the first ones?

Sifting the compost and then with the compost spread on top of the green manure and some nice cobs of corn for the eating:U There's also another little block of sunflowers and lab lab at left.

I did get 3 cobs on one ear, second set of roots

A third block of corn not long planted at left and some cowpea as another green manure crop, second pic the cowpea being covered in another layer of compost, the second block of corn looking a bit tatty

Second block of corn all done, the corn stalks I mulched up with the mower, to the green stuff I added sawdust with some "special liquid", that all composted for a bit and then was spread back on and now some marigolds are on the go, I have some nematodes to control hence the marigolds. Another 2 blocks of green manure, first one with some corn and the block at btm with some more lab lab and a bunch of stuff, this was just grass (lawn) so it has nut grass and other grass and weeds.

If I can build a mobile chicken home they will be set to work on the nut grass and the digging of new areas, that's for a little later in the yr tho.

Pete

HUON
10th February 2016, 02:46 PM
Nice patch, Pete, lot's of good info. I'll try out your method next year, cheers

Old Croc
11th February 2016, 09:45 PM
Pete,
I grow a plot of corn each winter up here, so I read this with interest. As for the eating, I prefer ripping the cob off and straight into the nuclear oven for 90 seconds, let stand for 3 minutes, dehusk, add olive oil and freshly ground pepper or Taco seasoning powder in a salt shaker.
Rgds,
Crocy.

snowyskiesau
11th February 2016, 09:54 PM
I've had varying success with corn down here. Last year failed but the year before was great.
Here's the current crop, behind the pumpkin/cucumbers and strawberries and to the right of the tomatoes :)

Not sure when to harvest though.

rod1949
11th February 2016, 10:05 PM
Pete,
I grow a plot of corn each winter up here, so I read this with interest. As for the eating, I prefer ripping the cob off and straight into the nuclear oven for 90 seconds, let stand for 3 minutes, dehusk, add olive oil and freshly ground pepper or Taco seasoning powder in a salt shaker.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Sounds bloody yummy:2tsup:

fenderbelly
11th February 2016, 11:13 PM
I grew corn here a couple of months after moving in. The chickens ate the lot.
I replanted and put wire around the patch, I didn't have quite enough wire to go right round so closed the open bit with two wire
baskets. The chickens pushed the baskets apart and ate the lot.
I replanted after fencing the chickens out, I got three cobs then got carried away trying to organize the shed.
The corn started to dry out. The chickens won again :U.
I will be better organized next season.
I agree on using the microwave for the corn..

Any advice then I'm all EARS :U

snowyskiesau
12th February 2016, 01:09 AM
I will be better organized next season.
I agree on using the microwave for the corn..

Any advice then I'm all EARS :U

If not, corn fed chicken is delicious.

pjt
14th February 2016, 12:06 AM
I've had varying success with corn down here. Last year failed but the year before was great.
Here's the current crop, behind the pumpkin/cucumbers and strawberries and to the right of the tomatoes :)

Not sure when to harvest though.

I start to be looking to harvest after the tassels have turned brown, maybe a week or two after at most, they have a full look to the cob, to test I'll give the cob a bit of a squeeze, they will feel full, for a definitive yes or no I peel a few of the outer leaves back and have a look, if kernels are yellow and full it's a yes, if pale/white no, if left too long tho the kernels will continue to fill and not be as tender and sweet, this variety I grew the kernels will have a dent in the kernel when past their best, they can still be eaten but I find at this point they become chook food or seed for an end of summer green manure crop, the cob can also be left on the stalk until the plant is brown/dead, at this point it ends up being ground for cornmeal, something that seems to happen more in the US than here in Aus.

Pete

Allan at Wallan
14th February 2016, 12:14 PM
I've got the answer Fred!

Eat the bloomin' chickens then plant the corn.

Allan