PDA

View Full Version : Preparing old timber

Driver
30th December 2002, 10:33 AM
G'day

I'm new to all this. (Great Bulletin Board, incidentally - I've found it really helpful).

I've acquired some old jarrah. It's dirty and some of it has a fair bit of grease and sand on the outer surfaces. Most of it is pretty straight and it's in lengths of around 1800 mm with a cross-section of 130 mm x 60 mm. I fully intend to use it all - hopefully in making a couple of tables.

Can anyone give me advice on how best to clean it up? (Once I've done that I'll need to have it cut down from the 60 mm thickness to something more useful).

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

RETIRED
30th December 2002, 07:21 PM
Gooday.

if you have access to a high pressure cleaner use that. If not, load into trailer and take it to the local car wash and use theirs.

Let it dry for a week or two and use it then.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

soundman
30th December 2002, 11:04 PM
A follow up with a belt sander could be worthwhile.
It'll smmoth down any nasty surface & will show up some of the imbeded nails.

DarrylF
30th December 2002, 11:40 PM
Welcome Driver - they're a helpful lot around here http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

What & Soundman said - high pressure cleaner to get all the sand & other rubbish off, then a belt sander if the timber is really rough. A metal detector might be a good investment if you plan to use your own gear to machine it - a nail can make an awful mess of a planer blade.

Keep in mind you'd pay serious money for good Jarrah, so it's worth spending a few bucks on getting it into shape. Jarrah at 60mm thick is hard to get too.

You should be able to find a local sawmill/woodshop who would resaw & machine it for you. Make sure you work out what sizes you need before they go to work on it of course http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Driver
31st December 2002, 09:50 AM
Thanks a lot fellas. You're right, DarrylF, you are a helpful lot. I really appreciate the advice.

Driver

Driver
31st December 2002, 09:53 AM
Incidentally, Happy New Year to everyone!