PDA

View Full Version : And not an ounce of glue anywhere

powderpost
17th February 2016, 09:16 PM
This bowl was made about 23 years ago from cooktown ironwood. I found it in a cupboard looking very sad, with some tiny surface cracks and some of the lacquer peeling. I was surprised after re-chucking it, that it was still near enough to round. The old lacquer was stripped off with a blunt scraper, thinners and steel wool. The timber was very hard, so the rest was sandpapered off. I tried some of Ubeauts new Aussie oil and was very pleased with the finish. The bowl is 310mm diameter and 110mm deep.

This bowl is white cedar. The block was headed for the fire box, but decided to give it a go. Often white cedar has small pockets of decaying wood and is not the best wood to get a good finish. It got 4 coats of sanding sealer, cut back to wood and four coats of sprayed lacquer. It measures 275mm diameter and about 70mm deep.

Jim

Cliff Rogers
17th February 2016, 10:08 PM
Good refurb job on the old one, I really like that White Cedar one. :2tsup:

Are you out of glue or is your table saw busted? :?

artful bodger
17th February 2016, 10:14 PM
All is not lost. You might be able to cut em both up into little bits, and re-assmeble all the pieces into a cool pattern......

Old Croc
17th February 2016, 10:53 PM
Thank god, some real woodturning, not Lego blocks. Very nice Jim.
Rgds,
Crocy.

powderpost
17th February 2016, 11:11 PM
Look at that, I try to redeem myself and look what happens.... :D:D
Thank you all for taking the time too look and comment, it is appreciated. Rest easy, there is another "leggo" piece on the way. :q :U

Jim

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2016, 08:15 AM
Nice work
pretty bit of white cedar

but will the alien who has possessed Jim please let him free!

Allan at Wallan
18th February 2016, 10:12 AM
Very nice restoration Jim! I have really taken an interest in White Cedar
recently. One of the boys at the club made a pepper grinder from a piece
of fiddle backed White Cedar and it was outstanding.
Lots of White Cedars have been planted by the Whittlesea Council in the
Epping area and each year they prune them. Must be just about time for
me to make some enquiries for some larger branches.

Allan

Mobyturns
18th February 2016, 11:27 AM
All is not lost. You might be able to cut em both up into little bits, and re-assmeble all the pieces into a cool pattern......

Don't go encouraging him ...... :rolleyes:

Jim that Cooktown Ironwood bowl would weigh quite a bit, came up well after the refurb. I would love to see you hand some one the white cedar bowl then the CI bowl :D just to see their reaction to the vastly different densities.

smiife
18th February 2016, 08:15 PM
Hi jim,
They both look very nice, well done on the refurb! :2tsup: