PDA

View Full Version : opinions -8mm HSS or 1/4 TC ???????

hugh reid2
19th February 2016, 10:01 AM
any opinions are welcomes before i spend the princely some of 30 odd dollars.....

Just bought a second hand leigh dovetail jig and i need a few router bits,
should i get the Leigh HSS dovetail cutters with the 8mm shank (and an 8mm adaptor,
or the CMT equivalent with TC cutters ans a 1/4 " shank???????

8mm = less likely to snap off (and i've had that happen before) but won't stay as sharp for as long
1/4 TC stass sharper but weaker?

ian
19th February 2016, 04:05 PM
???

Leigh's web site says
Leigh carbide-tipped router bits... Our carbide comes from Sandvik of Sweden, the world's leading carbide manufacturer

I can't readily see reference to HSS bits

and CMT make 1/2" shank bits for Leigh jigs

elanjacobs
19th February 2016, 04:54 PM
Always get carbide

hugh reid2
19th February 2016, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm, thanks .
You're a bit spoilt over that side of the world.
I'll keep looking but over here the biggest store (carba-tec) only has HSS genuine leigh bits and they are 8mm (the smaller ones that is, the larger are 1/2"),
and they only have the smaller CMT carbide dovetail bits in 1/4"
Will go through a few more sites to see what else is available.

Many of the bits that came with it are blunt, but the #120 is stuffed
- it would be good to see if anyone has a preference for future purchases

Big Shed
19th February 2016, 05:07 PM
Have you looked at Timbecon?

When I bought my Incra I bought all the router bits from them (Torquata brand) and they have been very good.
Not sure whether the Leigh bit sizes are different but have a look at them.

ian
19th February 2016, 05:31 PM
Hmmmm, thanks .
You're a bit spoilt over that side of the world.
I'll keep looking but over here the biggest store (carba-tec) only has HSS genuine leigh bits and they are 8mm (the smaller ones that is, the larger are 1/2"),
and they only have the smaller CMT carbide dovetail bits in 1/4"
Will go through a few more sites to see what else is available.

Many of the bits that came with it are blunt, but the #120 is stuffed
- it would be good to see if anyone has a preference for future purchaseswe might be a bit spoilt over here, but the Leigh web site implies that Leigh only make and/or brand carbide bits, so if Carbatec are saying "This is the Through Dovetail Bit that comes with the jig" they most likely have their wires crossed because, according to Leigh, genuine Leigh bits are carbide tipped.

leaving that aside, have you looked at carb-i-tool (the ever reliable Aussie manufacturer), they have bits sized for Leigh DT jigs in both 1/2" and 1/4" shanks CARB-I-TOOL - Router Bit and Accessories Catalogue - NOVEMBER 2015 (http://envirocatalogue.com.au/Carbitool_Website_2012/Router_Bit/#13/z)

and if buying locally doesn't appeal, there's always Lee Valley Dovetail Bits for Leigh Jigs – 8mm shank - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=69415&cat=1,33084,46168,69399,69433&ap=1) note this link is probably to the Canadian site, you'll need to change to international

ian
19th February 2016, 05:38 PM
BTW, I entered "Leigh" into Carbatec's search field, then filtered for 8mm shank bits

malb
19th February 2016, 05:44 PM
Hugh, if you have the deep pockets, you can have it both ways, Leigh make 8mm shank carbide bits for the jigs using the E7 bush (US$126 for a full set of 7) and another set using 1/2" and 8mm shanks with the 5/8" bush (US$216 (I think) for a full set of 13) for the D4 series jigs.
Carbatec used to sell individual carbide bits, but they seem to have fallen off the catalogue when it was revamped last year. I suggest that you start at the Leigh site, then try some of the reputable Woodwork supply stores in America, or even eBay in the US.
Seems that you might have to stump up for a full set as Leigh don't seem to list them as individual units any more.
One of the larger US mainland bit makers (Amana or Whiteside) also used to list individual carbides for Leigh and claim that they were the OEM suppliers to Leigh, so the bits they supplied were the exact same bits that Leigh supplied.

A couple of years ago, Leigh were listing straight carbide and spiral solid carbide for the parallel bits, with the spirals being about twice the price of the straights, but reportedly much smoother in operation and with less chipout.

ian
24th February 2016, 02:22 PM
hi Hugh

any update on this?

hugh reid2
14th March 2016, 07:03 PM
i ended up with a carb-i-tool,
worked out cheaper to get it through the local hardware.
Will see how long it stays sharp.
Thanks for the help guys