PDA

View Full Version : Crushed coral hollow vessel.

kcam
19th February 2016, 08:23 PM
This is another of my "coral series" of turnings. It was inspired by memories of the crushed and washed coral beach of Fitzroy Island off Cairns.
Turned from a small piece of Norfolk Pine and then attacked with a Dremel using various burs, following the grain pattern.
Size: 130x65mm
Finished with a couple of spray coats of lacquer.
C&C welcome.

dusteater
19th February 2016, 09:12 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: I Like !

crowie
19th February 2016, 09:13 PM
G'Day Kerry,
The "vessel" looks pretty special but I'd really appreciate seeing a few larger photos please as the ones you've added don't go much larger when opened...
Thank you, cheers, crowie

kcam
19th February 2016, 09:30 PM
As requested crowie....a few larger pics....cheers Kerry

powderpost
19th February 2016, 09:34 PM
That is a good job, :2tsup: coral inspiration seems to be the flavour of the month. I haven't had a go at carving for a while, got two new Dremels now and they need a work out.. :U

Jim

crowie
19th February 2016, 09:53 PM

Firstly THANK YOU Kerry and SECONDLY - WOW!!....:o
Now I can see the beautiful deal and yes, it does look like you could have sculptured the vessel from a piece of coral....Superb sir...:2tsup:
Cheers and again thank you, crowie

kcam
20th February 2016, 10:38 AM
That is a good job, :2tsup: coral inspiration seems to be the flavour of the month. I haven't had a go at carving for a while, got two new Dremels now and they need a work out.. :U

Jim
Don't let those Dremel's grow dust now Jim......get them out and have fun.:U Kerry

Cliff Rogers
20th February 2016, 10:42 AM
:2tsup:

Mobyturns
20th February 2016, 02:28 PM

Kerry,

Very nice work, the texture certainly captures the essence of the bleached coral rocks at Fitzroy Is. Spent many an afternoon there having a swim on the way back from Sudbury, Thetford, Moore Reefs. Very pleasant spot.

This form would look fantastic in Jacaranda.

kcam
20th February 2016, 04:57 PM
Kerry,

Very nice work, the texture certainly captures the essence of the bleached coral rocks at Fitzroy Is. Spent many an afternoon there having a swim on the way back from Sudbury, Thetford, Moore Reefs. Very pleasant spot.

This form would look fantastic in Jacaranda.

Geoff,
Haven't been back for at least 30 years but used to go camping there with the kids when camping was allowed, so I have very fond memories of the Island and the reef in general.

I liked the NP due to the slight variation in colour and the waving grain pattern....might try Jacaranda "some Day"!

Cheers
Kerry

artme
21st February 2016, 04:01 PM
Very evocative piec!! Well done!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mobyturns
28th February 2016, 05:36 PM
Geoff,
Haven't been back for at least 30 years but used to go camping there with the kids when camping was allowed, so I have very fond memories of the Island and the reef in general.

I liked the NP due to the slight variation in colour and the waving grain pattern....might try Jacaranda "some Day"!

Cheers
Kerry

Kerry its been about 5 years for me, but I have spent many years going there and a few times a month up until the mid 80's when we transferred to Townsville. After that it was only several times a year and on the odd occasion a work trip.

My uncle Stewart Habermann was one of the skippers for Hayles Cruises on the Green Is run so I got a few freebies over the years as a kid to Green & Fitzroy and a couple of trips to Cooktown. He inherited the Hydro-Flite which did the Fitzroy run in the early 1980's. From memory I think it was this http://www.shf.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HYDRO-FLITE-Fremantle-Jan-1977.GKA_..jpg

dr4g0nfly
7th March 2016, 06:00 AM
I can see why you call it a Coral Series, but the images of the worked side make me see a sandstone buff, wind shaped or full of Sand Martin holes.

However you see it, It looks like a great effect.