PDA

View Full Version : Table Top

Rodgera
5th January 2003, 08:32 PM
I have decided to make an outside setting, to be used under a well covered outside area.
The table top will be 21mm marine ply with a Cherrywood/Tasmainian Blue Gum parquetry type finish in a herringbone pattern.
Any suggestions as to a final finish - it has been suggested by a colleague to use boiled linseed oil as a primary finished,
what can go over the top of this for a solid but durable finish?

Thanks,

Rodger

------------------
Rodger Anderson
Adult Education & Training Consultant

Bruce Bell
6th January 2003, 07:21 AM
If you use linseed oil it wont harden unless you put a drier in it like terribeen and turps. There is no successful exterior clear finish available unless you use the ones that have some sort of stain in them. This is due to the UV light problem and the surface finishes usually all break down and leave a bigger mess than just leaving the project are la natural.

You could try some of the commercially available oil finishes on the market as a better option but be prepared to redo the surface at regular intervals.

Still Enjoying the Thrill of Making the Chips Fly

fxst
6th January 2003, 07:16 PM
you could try Deks Olja(sp?)I used to use it on my yacht which sat on a mooring in the SA heat (top of Spencer Gulf)Also used it on our front door some 10 years ago and it is still in very good condition tho you do need to use both the No1 and No2 but its worth it
Failing that you could try a good marine spar vanish
Pete

GC
6th January 2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmm, yes. I've just had the same problem with my outdoor setting. I've used linseed oil for the last couple of years and am sick of have to do it every 6 months.

I've just tried Feast Watson's woodshield. It doesn't leave a oily residue like linseed oil and seems harder, only time will tell

GC

Robert WA
7th January 2003, 12:19 AM
I have used a Feast Watson outdoor furniture Tung Oil preparation on jarrah furniture that is in full sun. It seems to last about 3 to 4 months before it begins to look dry. The can says at least 6 months, but it lies.
With any oil finish, to avoid the tacky surface, paint it on with a brush and then wipe it off with a cloth after a few minutes.
Dispose of the cloths carefully, they can self ignite.

grantc
18th April 2005, 06:44 PM
you should try feast watsoons outdoor furniture oil or intergrains natures timber oil if you want a more natural finish. both should last 12mths to 3 yrs depending on conditions
if its parquetry though maybe you should use feast's spar marine finish to put a full seal on the top

Grunt
18th April 2005, 06:48 PM
Grant,

Welcome abord. You will find that you've dug up a post that is more than 2 years old. I think Rodger has already come up with a solution.

Grunt

echnidna
18th April 2005, 08:17 PM
or he painted it with an acrylic solid color after it went grey

Rodgera
18th April 2005, 10:42 PM
or he painted it with an acrylic solid color after it went grey

I actually sanded about two mm off the top, which took weeks to do, then used NorGlass two pack finish :mad: :mad: , with truely shocking results :mad: :mad: .
I eventually resanded the surface and resorted to Carbathane CFP with hardener, and today (two years later) it still looks new.

Thank you all for your input, it makes this forum interesting and worthwhile. ;) ;) ;)

DaveInOz
19th April 2005, 10:14 AM
Finally some closure, knowing how it went I hope I can finally move on with my life. :) :rolleyes: :D