PDA

View Full Version : Vintage MEM Electrics

Vann
26th February 2016, 09:04 PM
Last year I was lucky enough to be offerred a Wadkin PK dimension saw (albeit a somewhat abused, well used, and a little neglected).

When I bought it the electric isolating switch had been removed leaving half a PDL switchbox...

In order to test it and get it running I bought a front cover for the PDL box and mounted a 3-phase isolating switch on the front.

But the switch looks so out of place that I'd like to replace it with something more in "period" (the saw was manufactured in 1945)

So I've managed to acquire a Memrex 3-phase, cast iron clad, switch.

372691 372693

The internal contact blocks look almost identical to the internals of the 3-phase, pressed steel clad, switch, on my 1928 bandsaw.

372692 372694

I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with Mem electrical boxes, and can estimate the era of these two electrical boxes?

The bandsaw was relocated in 1987, and I believe the orange conduit dates to that period. I believe the pressed steel switch boxes pre-date that move, but are not likely to be the original electrics of 1929. I would guess maybe the 1960s?

MEM Co Ltd
Reddings Lane
Birmingham
England

Cheers, Vann.

Pac man
26th February 2016, 11:25 PM
Check out the ads on Graces Guide some of them may be the correct one MEM Co (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/MEM_Co)

clear out
26th February 2016, 11:29 PM
My bro worked for MEM here in Sydney in the early 80s.
They had a manufacturing plant at Artarmon and were the import agents for Makita power tools.
He's not on the net and is 800 k up the coast but I am going up that way for a wedding in early April so will pick his brains.
When they shut down he scrounged me a lifetime supply of starters and fuse links etc.
He also rewired my workshop, replacing the fabric covered wiring in steel conduit with modern wiring.
Even so we installed a main kill switch next to the door and when leaving it all goes off.
That switch is definitely pre 1960 and quite possibly prewar.
H.

Vann
27th February 2016, 12:45 PM
Check out the ads on Graces Guide some of them may be the correct one MEM Co (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/MEM_Co)D'oh, I should have checked Grace's Guide. Thanks.

While none of the adverts there is for the Memrex range of switches, the switch shown in the July 1938 advert, is similar to the cast iron one I have. And the switches growing on trees, in the April 1946 advert, are the exact same style. So that reinforces clear out's opinion that it may be second world war era. That makes it perfect for my 1945 PK saw http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif.

None of the adverts (the most recent of which is 1964) show a pressed metal box for a switch - which suggests my guess of 1960s, for my bandsaw Mem switch, may be a bit early. Clear out (Henry), I would appreciate it if your bro is able to throw some more light on the subject. I look forward to your return in April (I too have a brother who doesn't use the net).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
10th May 2016, 07:43 PM
This post has been moved here from another thread. It doubles up on some of the info previously posted here (but also sums up those posts)

post up what you got Vann...

My 1928 Preston bandsaw came with a MEM isolating switch in a pressed sheetmetal box.

379065 379067

This design seems to date from the late 1960s or early 1970s. The orange conduit in the pictures was fitted in 1987, and the switch predates the conduit. So I'd estimate the isolating switch was a late 1970s or early 1980s upgrade to the electrics on the saw.

The internal contact blocks look almost identical to the internals of this MEMREX cast-iron clad, switch (which is destined for my 1945 Wadkin PK - to replace a modern isolating switch).

379064 379066

The internal contact blocks also look the same as those in this MEMREX switch.

379061 379062

Though I don't have a clue what the other gear in this box does, nor why there appears to have been only one fuse and two thermal cut-outs (for 3 phases).

The writing on the thermal cut-out says:
REQ'D FUSE NOT OVER
30A 600V
50A 440V
75A 250V
4.0A 600V

And Yes, I'm very aware that the white fluffy stuff is almost certainly asbestos. I've carefully package up the larger bits and vacuumed up any remaining particals.

379060 Box cleaned, vacuumed, and washed.

MEM and MEMREX are brands of Midland Electric Manufacturing Co. Ltd of:
Reddings Lane
Birmingham
England

This advert, found on Graces Guide (UK) shows the same style of cast-iron box, and dates to 1946. Another advert showing this style dates to 1938.

It is likely that the switch with thermal cut-outs was installed ~1929.

Cheers, Vann.[/QUOTE]

Vann
10th May 2016, 08:35 PM
From the scruffy box, with dirt and surface rust (and an open 'knock-out') the isolating switch has been cleaned, derusted, plugged, and painted.

The painting isn't that great, close up. Brush marks are very visible. But from a distance it looks much better, and it's now sealed against sawdust ingress, and rust.

379057 379056 During strip down, with the ceramic covers (arc chutes?) removed.

379054 The 'knife switches' are plated, and are in good condition. They were merely cleaned with Jif.

379058 Reassembled, showing broken ceramic cover.

As seen above, one of the ceramic covers was broken. I was going to use a cover from the "thermal cutout" switch, but they're not interchangable :~. There have been minor design changes over the years.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
30th December 2016, 03:37 PM
Last year I was lucky enough to be offerred a Wadkin PK dimension saw (albeit a somewhat abused, well used, and a little neglected).

When I bought it the electric isolating switch had been removed leaving half a PDL switchbox...

In order to test it and get it running I bought a front cover for the PDL box and mounted a 3-phase isolating switch on the front.

But the switch looks so out of place that I'd like to replace it with something more in "period" (the saw was manufactured in 1945)

So I've managed to acquire a Memrex 3-phase, cast iron clad, switch.

403117 403121

Now that my Preston bandsaw is usable (not completed, but usable) it's time to get my Wadkin PK saw reassembled. Starting with a more respectable isolating switch - the MEM switch mentioned above.

First I removed the lid by tapping out the hinge-pin.

403128 The box has been repainted light grey, but inside the original darker grey (not black) is visible.

Then I removed the ceramic contact blocks - revealing what is most likely asbestos. This I carefully scrapped off and double bagged, then I scrubbed the whole box and all the parts in soapy water to get rid of any traces.

The bottom ceramic piece (contact block) screws into the cast iron base. the top ceramic piece (arc chute) screws into the head of the lower screw.

403127 403126

Then I removed the switch bar. This locates on a spring cam mechanism at one end, and is removed by removing the pivot screw at the other end.

403122 403123

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
30th December 2016, 03:59 PM
Upon inspection, some of the switch bar knife contacts were badly out of shape.

First I marked the location of each knife contact with a marker pen.

Then I loosened each knife contact and slid them off the bar.

Each bent knife contact was straightened.

403130 403131

Then lightly abraded and refitted to the bar.

I won't refit it to the cast box until I've repainted the box.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
16th May 2019, 08:41 PM
In case anybody is wondering, and stumble across this thread:

...I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with Mem electrical boxes, and can estimate the era of these two electrical boxes?...

I recently purchased 3 MEM cattledogs from the UK, for not too much money (£10).

The newest dates to 1962, while the others are 1955 and 1937.

The cast iron clad switch is in the 1937 catalogue* but not the 1955 version.

* this catalogue only shows the internals of each switch. At some point MEM changed from smooth fronts on their isolating switches to the more decorative version.

454587 454589 Smooth front (left) & decorative front (right).

The smooth front isolating switch was originally black ("jet black" according to the catalogue) and I believe it dates to ~1929 (it came off a machine installed in 1929). The decorative front isolator was originally grey, and I guestimate it's post WW2 (it is said there was so much "battleship grey" paint left over at the end of WW2 that nearly everything got painted that colour - probably just urban legend :;).

It would seem that MEM cast iron clad switches went from plain black front, to decorative black front, to decorative grey front - before being replaced by a more modern looking cast box in the 1955 catalogue (possibly die-cast aluminium) and then the pressed steel clad switches - with almost identical internals.

The pressed steel box isolator isn’t in the 1955 catalogue, but appears in the 1962 version

D'oh, I should have checked Grace's Guide...

...None of the adverts (the most recent of which is 1964) show a pressed metal box for a switch - which suggests my guess of 1960s, for my bandsaw Mem switch, may be a bit early. Clear out (Henry)...

I had already identified that these pressed steel boxes were around in 1963, as I found this photo taken that year.

And if you look in the bottom right-hand corner (under the bandsaw table) you can see a Crabtree contactor and the MEM pressed steel isolator - both looking in new condition in 1963, on this 1929 Preston bandsaw. That is the very same MEM isolator as shown in the previous photo.

454606 454605 The same two electrical items before and during refurb - since I purchased the saw three years ago.

Pretty cool I reckon, having a photo of my own bandsaw, taken 56 years ago :cool:.

Cheers, Vann.