PDA

View Full Version : Clock design opinions

rtyuiop
27th February 2016, 02:42 PM
Hi folks,

I just finished a test clock in tas myrtle and jacaranda:

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/tas-myrtle-jacaranda-clock-med.jpg

inspired (with thanks!) by bassmansimon's effort in this thread - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/myrtle-sheoak-clock-185539.

I like the general layout (apart from the stain in some of the myrtle, and me stuffing up and orienting the grain wrong), but I'm not completely happy with the 3, 6, 9, and 12 lines, so I'm seeking input before making a bigger version of this.

My current plan is to maybe make the lines between blocks (that are jacaranda here) thicker, so the plug sits either almost, or completely within the contrasting timber, and then use the same timber as the main body for the plugs for the 3, 6, 9, and 12 points. I'm concerned that this will end up looking a bit chunky, as the lines between the quarters will have to be much, much thicker... Before making this test unit, I was thinking of using plugs for the 1,2,4,5,7,8,10, and 11 and just relying on the lines for the cardinal numbers, but looking at it now I feel like that would emphasize the numbers with plugs instead of the cardinals...

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks,

Danny

DaveTTC
27th February 2016, 05:45 PM
Thinner lines in dark colour

Ebony might look good. Mind you, you would loose the hands

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

rtyuiop
27th February 2016, 06:02 PM
That's an interesting idea! I have quite a bit of fairly dark aussie blackwood sitting around which might be interesting used that way, and I feel like if I get the lines thin enough the hands blending in wouldn't be an issue...

DaveTTC
27th February 2016, 09:42 PM
You could also look at ebonising your own wood

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Blackforester
28th February 2016, 08:14 AM
I would leave the main body in one piece but make the 3, 6, 9 and 12 plugs larger and the remaining numbers smaller, or use different contrasting timbers for the numbers.
BF

orraloon
28th February 2016, 09:41 AM
There will be countless opinions as to how a clock face should look. I would say go with what you like. If making a clock for someone else try to get a feel for what style they like. With any woodturning I usually try to make the most of the wood grain feature. That is if the wood has nice grain then keep the decoration simple and minimal. If the wood is very plain then tart it up a bit.
Regards
John

rtyuiop
28th February 2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks Johm, BF - I quite like dividing the clock into quarters. For a bigger version I think I'm going to try to find some fairly boring straight grained timber oriented with the grain sitting in concentric circles (well, I guess really concentric squares) around the face, so I'll keep the lines at 3, 6, 9, and 12 to add some interest.

smiife
28th February 2016, 04:47 PM
Hi danny,
Yes I agree with bf. Make the clock from one piece, then
cut it in quarters add the contrasting timber , glue up and
return it ,, that,s my 2 bobs worth ! :U

Christos
3rd March 2016, 06:57 PM
I have just caught up with this thread and noticed that you have been inspired by Bassmansimon. :2tsup: Well I was also inspired by him to make a clock, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/inspiration-clock-183889?highlight=clock).

Since then I made a few others and used different size plugs for the numbers. The 3,6,9 and 12 were larger and the rest of the numbers were smaller in size.

artme
4th March 2016, 09:39 AM
Somehow missed this until now!!:doh:

I like the general concept as the face and hands are very easy to see and the cross axws would be a useful
aid in teaching young ones 1/4 hour times. So well done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Agree with bf on the number plugs . Just think - 12 different timber plugs and the fun you could have telling
the wood colletor's time --- It's SSo past BHS!!:D:p