PDA

View Full Version : T slot bit rising out of collett

Tiger12
1st March 2016, 12:55 PM
I am a new woodworker.

My first project is a router table.

I built the table and wanted to put a mite slot in both the table top and the fence.

bought a I/4 inch t slot bit and used a AEG plunge router with a I/4 collet insert and cut the slot OK.

However when I put the bit into my mounted Triton TRA1 table mounted router with a I/4 inch collet it rose out of the collet. I had previously had the same problem with the bit in table mounted Ozito router which I blamed on the el cheapo router.

It sees that the bit is OK when it is not mounted in a table mounted router.

Any suggestions

fubar
1st March 2016, 02:38 PM
I've had similar issues in the past spoke with carbitool and they suggested replace the collet as they wear down. I did and it solved the problem. I now regularly replace the collets and as I use only a few 1/4" shafts they each tend to have their own collet.

Godfrey
1st March 2016, 02:39 PM
I had a similar issue with a Bosch router and it turned out that the collet was too large. Carbatech replaced the collet as it was still under warranty. That said, have you experienced the problem with other 1/4 inch router bits in the Triton? If not then perhaps it's the bit and not the router or there is some dirt on the collet.

Tiger12
1st March 2016, 05:26 PM
Both routers are new.

I have not had a problem with other 1/4 bits.

Funny that it happened only with the router inverted (i.e. in a table) otherwise I would blame the bit

A Duke
1st March 2016, 05:42 PM
Hi,
May be you let the bit bottom before tightening, being that gravity would bottom it in the table and not when loaded on its side. Do you have the separate collets or are you using the older insert adapter?
Regards

Lappa
1st March 2016, 07:42 PM
Have a read through this thread, Same problem as yours

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/router-bit-climbs-cutting-202176

Cheers

Tiger12
2nd March 2016, 08:12 AM
None of the things mentioned in the replies seem to apply.

I inserted the bit fully and then backed it out a little. I a little.

The routers and collets are new.
I will try again on some scrap and report back

Thanks for the advice.

Yanis
2nd March 2016, 08:29 AM
Are you absolutely sure it is 1/4" and not 6mm shaft? I have seen mis-labeled packets before today.

John

nrb
2nd March 2016, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem with my Triton,got another Triton collet but no better.
On advice from someone on the forum I bought a GIFKINS collet have not had a problem since
This unit is made a bit different than others with different slots now no slip at all

A Duke
2nd March 2016, 11:50 AM
I had the same problem with my Triton,got another Triton collet but no better.
On advice from someone on the forum I bought a GIFKINS collet have not had a problem since
This unit is made a bit different than others with different slots now no slip at all

Hi,
The latest Tritons have a complexly different collet for each size and do not use an adapter to reduce the half inch to quarter inch. That is what I was inquiring about in my previous post.
Regards

Lappa
2nd March 2016, 05:26 PM
None of the things mentioned in the replies seem to apply.

I inserted the bit fully and then backed it out a little. I a little.

The routers and collets are new.
I will try again on some scrap and report back

Thanks for the advice.

I stated in that thread that my router was only 12 months old and a 1/4" bit had climbed a couple of times before I had the latest experience.
A new collet fixed the problem. Why it was worn in 12 months when I mostly use 1/2" bits I don't know. Notice the measurements I quoted re the old one and the new one and check your measurements.