PDA

View Full Version : Trees that enjoy wet feet.

artme
1st March 2016, 09:49 PM
I have problem at the bottom of my yard. when we get heavy or persistent rain
the area stays wet and boggy for some time.

I know that melaleucas - quinquinerva in particular - thrive in the wet.

What other trees can do so? Is ficafolia ok in the wet?

cava
1st March 2016, 10:35 PM
Paperbark. I am not sure if that is the species that you mentioned, but if it is, they do well in swampy areas.

Kidbee
2nd March 2016, 07:42 AM
Bottlebrush.

artme
2nd March 2016, 09:20 AM
Yep. Melaleuca quinquinerva is a paperbark. Sometime wrongly called tea tree.

I know bottlebrushes are drought tolerant but had never thought of their wet feet ability!!

Thank you both fellas.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

pampelmuse
2nd March 2016, 10:34 AM
I take it you are right on the coast so there would be any number of lowland forest species in your neck of the woods that would tolerate waterlogging. Casuarina glauca, Tristaniopsis laurina are two that spring to mind but depending how close to the salt water you are you could try any of the swamp growing eucalyptus like E. robusta which certainly grows round your area. Should be available at nurseries. You could even go down the route of getting something a little more unusual like lowland rainforest species such as Syzygium moorei (Durobby) which is also a threatened species but it is in cultivation. Depends more on how far you are willing to go to source your tree as anything a bit different prob isn't going to be at Bunny's.

Kidbee
2nd March 2016, 04:04 PM
Yep. Melaleuca quinquinerva is a paperbark. Sometime wrongly called tea tree.

I know bottlebrushes are drought tolerant but had never thought of their wet feet ability!!

Thank you both fellas.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bottlebrush were, a few years ago, reclassified by the botanists from Callistemon to Melaleuca.

artme
2nd March 2016, 09:31 PM
Bottlebrush were, a few years ago, reclassified by the botanists from Callistemon to Melaleuca.

That figures|!! things can't `be left alone for long nowadays!!!

Greg Ward
4th March 2016, 08:11 AM
Palms
Greg

Caconym
4th March 2016, 12:57 PM
have you looked into allocasuarina?