PDA

View Full Version : My Roughing Gouge Grind

brendan stemp
3rd March 2016, 01:18 PM
Some time ago there was a thread started about a roughing gouge I use. The gouge in question was seen on a video I had posted. I said I would put together a video explaing why have gone down this path with this RG and I have finally got around to doing it. I am not claiming this grind will be a game changer, or a revolutionary step forward in woodturning. It is just a grind a started using, liked it so have continued with it. I will be interested to see the discussion it may create. Here is a link to this You Tube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W10WqVuSGo

KBs PensNmore
3rd March 2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks for that Brendan. I've often wondered why they're not ground like you did, certainly make a lot more use of the metal and I noticed that you didn't have wood chips coming at you.
Kryn

TongueTied
3rd March 2016, 03:52 PM
I found the video very helpful. I tend to use my roughing gouge that way but it has a regular grind on it i.e. using the wings of the gouge. After watching your video, I plan to start introducing more of a swept back grind.

pommyphil
3rd March 2016, 06:05 PM
Well done Brendan, it works well.

Christos
4th March 2016, 11:38 AM
I also have the P&N roughing gouge and have seen and read the discussion concerning the grind on your roughing gouge. It has been on the back of my mind for a little while as to weather I modify my gouge to something similar to what you have. One minor prevention is that I currently grind free hand but as I know someone with a jig so there is a work around.

My current grind on the roughing gouge is similar to the original grind out of the packed with the corners touched on the grinder which gives me a very slight swept back. I am reluctant to call it a swept back as that barely has a swept back profile more like rounded. The way I use the roughing gouge to utilize the whole surface of the chisel is by rotating the tool.

I can see the merits of having this grounded to this profile as I believe it naturally presents the cutting edge to the work at an angle thus slicing the wood. In order to achieve a similar result on an out of packed P&N roughing gouge the tool would need to be rotated thus presenting one of the wings and angled back to have a trailing bevel. The main items that I have made in this fashion are pens, don't want to swap to a skew just for a final pass.

As you can tell there has been a far amount of thought going on in the background since this was originally was brought up. I am tending to think that I might eventually take steps to reproduce the grind similar to what you have as the only way to know if this will work for me is to actually try it. It you were closer I would be visiting. Maybe I can convince someone I know to try it on their roughing gouge. :U

I would like to know how you came up with this? Did you one day just get up and say I want my chisel ground this way or was it more like a progressive process? As I have not tried it I am not able to gauge the limitation if any, are you able to enlighten us?

NeilS
4th March 2016, 03:23 PM
Like yours Brendan, mine has ended up with a bit of a swept back grind.

It began when I eased back the tips to avoid catches... like this...

...and it just progressed from there after that.

brendan stemp
4th March 2016, 04:35 PM
Christos, I think it came about when I first got a Tru Grind and I decided to use it to sharpen my RG. I progressed from there. I haven't done any of my other RDs like this but that is probably because it takes time to re-grind them. The grind makes a lot of sense to me and I can't see any reason for you not to give it a try.

DaveTTC
4th March 2016, 11:32 PM
Havent watched the video yet. Will later. My favourite toughing gouge was my continental roughing gouge. Very versatile and a tumb nail grind. It has disappeared so been using a deap fluted gouge and while it has certain advantages it can cath much more easily.

Will watch with interest later

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Bluegum
6th March 2016, 09:02 PM
Great concept Brendan. Defiantly something to consider next time I'm in front of the grinder.