PDA

View Full Version : Hanging toilet cistern

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2005, 10:53 PM
OK, I screwed up.

Building a new bathroom, I lined, tiled & grouted. Installed the shower recess, fitted the cabinetry, sinks and final plumbing fittings. Last item? The dunny...

UhOh... I forgot to add a batten at a suitable height to mount the bloody cistern! :o 'Tis one of those 'orrible, cheap plastic Caroma Dual-flush things. There's a small window above the toilet location and I ran full-length studs to either side of it (I did the framing in the whole blasted house) but they're spaced a tad too widely apart. I have leeway to offset the loo a few inches either way, enough to get one side of the cistern bolted into one stud or the other, but the other side... :confused:

Would a butterfly or grav-toggle do the job if the other side's secured to a stud? It's not a solution I'm particularly happy with, but as the only alternative I can see is to rip out a part of the wall to retrofit a batten and at some $5- per tile...

Worse, I just realised the plumber didn't run a supply for the cistern anyway! I can already hear the groans when I tell the treasurer the plumber'll need to be called back. [sigh]

julianx
14th August 2005, 12:22 AM
what's the external cladding, might be easier to retrofit from the outside.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th August 2005, 02:50 AM
Sandstone blocks. Big, heavy mothers, about 40x20x30cm. I'd rather go in through the tiles! :D

KevM
14th August 2005, 09:11 AM
I have replaced a couple of cisterns in the last couple of years, they were both held on with toggles. Did not appear to have caused any problem to the walls, one plasterboard, the second cement sheet.

Kev M

Jacksin
14th August 2005, 02:13 PM
I agree with KevM. I have used toggles when the timber trimmer is missing or in wrong place.

For your water supply problem, can you bore through the wall and pick up the water on the outside somewhere.
Jack

knucklehead
14th August 2005, 03:42 PM
The weight of the full cistern should be easy to figure out. Probably about 11 litre capacity. So add a couple of kilos for the cistern itself and you'll be hanging about 15Kg.

Toggles should do that sort of weight. But if you are lucky you may be able to get at least one screw in to a battern. Then it would be well secure.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th August 2005, 01:14 AM
It looks like the consensus is it'll be OK to hang one side with a toggle, if the other side's mounted to a batten. Not that I thought I had much choice; I was hoping for other options but knew 'twas wishful thinking.

As for the feed, I think a fitting penetrating the floor instead of the wall will do. The main occupant may disagree, but I think another look at the budget will induce a change of mind. :D