PDA

View Full Version : Please help with fair price of lathe?

Wayne Blanch
6th March 2016, 09:07 PM
Hi

This is Wayne's wife. Wayne loved this site, and so I am here in the hopes that someone can help.

He very sadly passed away and I am now ready to part with some of his much loved possessions, including a lathe, bandsaw and various bits of equipment. I do have someone interested in purchasing his lathe (and possibly also the bandsaw), and from one of his posts on it from 2008 he describes the lathe as a Sherwood HM1642 (electronic) Variable speed lathe with a 3 phase motor (with cast iron legs) - see below.

Would someone mind giving me some idea of a fair price of the lathe in particular, but the bandsaw also as well if possible?
The bandsaw is a Carbatec (and I think it's a 10").

There is also a grinder, and Scheppach Tiger 2000 wet grinder, as well as loads of accessories including chisels etc which I will be looking at offloading at some point as well. I have attached a couple of photos to give you some idea.
373479 373478 373476 373477

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but would really appreciate any help. I don't know where else to turn.
Thanks.

Glenda

(Wayne's description of his lathe is on the forums at http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lathes-86372)

artme
7th March 2016, 07:23 AM
Very sorry to hear of Wayne's passing. My condolences to you.

You may like o get in touch with the Woodturners society of Queensland at Greenslopes and the Bayside Woodworkers.
They may have mebers interested in the equipment.

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2016, 08:52 AM
you have my condolences

sorry I can't help with valuations but if that is the 10" carbatec bandsaw they are $429 new
and Artme's advice is sound

justonething
7th March 2016, 12:58 PM
Hi Glenda
I'm very sorry for your loss. You have my condolences
Valuation varies widely and it's often difficult to obtain from just a photo. But as a very rough guide, I'd say 50% of the purchase price is the starting point of one's valuation, and in its absence, 50% of today's price.
You'll get a widest reach if you have as much detail as possible with regard to the specifications and conditions for the items, including manuals that come with the machines, and a accurate description of each item. Is the bandsaw really a 10"? a 10" machine is about 1.5 metres high including the stand while a 14" is about 1.8 m.
With regard to the lathe, the closest I could find is from http://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/lathes-attachments/1100-x-400mm-woodlathe (http://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/lathes-attachments/1100-x-400mm-woodlathe) at Timbercon which is retailed at 950.
Here is link (https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/bandsaws-and-accessories/bandsaws) from Carbatec with regard to their bandsaws.
As far as the wet grinder is concerned, sometimes the jigs are worth more than grinder itself, especially if they were made by Tormek, and so I'd suggest you have a look at the accessories.

You may want to approach Timbercon to get a more accurate retail price of the lathe.

Take a few photos of each item for sale if you are putting the items online for sale. There is a market place (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275) here in which you can advertise your equipment free of charge.

all the best.
regards
Paul.

Wayne Blanch
7th March 2016, 01:51 PM
Thank you all so much for your help (and your condolences). It is greatly appreciated.
I will look into the sources you all provided.

One more thing, can you tell me how to tell what size the bandsaw is?

Thanks,

Glenda

cava
7th March 2016, 02:07 PM
Thank you all so much for your help (and your condolences). It is greatly appreciated.
I will look into the sources you all provided.

Thanks,

Glenda
Have a look at the electrical rating label on the bandsaw, and look for the model number. We can then tell you more details about the bandsaw.

Big Shed
7th March 2016, 02:16 PM
Please accept my condolences.

Looks to me like a BS350, in which case it is a 14".

Can be confirmed by measuring from blade to upright to the left, should be around 14".

There should be a fence that slides on the rail in front and a mitre gauge that slides in either of the table slots.

justonething
7th March 2016, 02:39 PM
In my opinion it is considerably easier to sell a 14" bandsaw than a 10" one. It will also fetch significantly more.
The model no. is the surest way to tell. But failing that, Fred's description of the measurement would also work. The overall height of the machine including the stand would also give that away.

Paul39
8th March 2016, 04:07 AM
Sorry to hear of Wayne's passing.

My rule of thumb for buying or selling used equipment is 50 % of new price in good working condition. 60 - 70% if it looks very nice. 40% if it works fine but is ugly.

To identify, make a list with brand name and model numbers and if convenient go to where the stuff was bought and get current new value.

Yanis
8th March 2016, 09:20 AM

Thanks,

Glenda

The bandsaw designation is the size of the drive wheels in inches. Open the top (or bottom) cover and measure the diameter of the drive wheel. The top and bottom wheel should be the same size. There are other specifications such as the distance between the band and the frame (depth of cut) and the table to the underside of the guides when they are fully raised (height of cut) but the primary designation is the wheel size. The other critical factor is the power of the motor in Horse Power, 0.5 HP 1.5 HP etc.

John

Christos
9th March 2016, 12:36 PM
My condolences.

Wayne Blanch
10th March 2016, 12:21 AM
Thanks again everyone for showing me such generosity and support. I'm not sure I totally understand the bandsaw description but will try and figure it all out. Your help is very much appreciated. I can see why Wayne loved coming here so much,

Glenda