PDA

View Full Version : Woodlathe accessories shopping list.

Kuffy
6th March 2016, 11:07 PM
So I bought an old woodfast lathe last week (week before???) and I have done enough work to it for it to be good enough to my standards. I need to pick up some bits n pieces for certain tasks. before I rush out and buy extra unnecessary items which never get used, i thought I would run a list if items which i am planning on getting in the near future. Feel free to tell me not to buy a certain thing or add something to the list which I may have overlooked.

The plan is to turn some pens, the occasional 300mm bowl/plate, turned lidded boxes, and some spindle turning from drawer knobs up to ~880mm table legs.

Currently I have a lathe, it has one toolrest bracket and one toolrest (not cam lock, ill live with it....for now), one 200mm diameter faceplate, a set of chisels from taiwan. a dead tail center and a horrible drive spur, both of which need replacing.

The list so far
*Crown drive spur ~25mm crown
*live tail center, any particular style? i was thinking just a live cup center.
*VM100 chuck with standard jaws/woodscrew etc (is this enough to turn the outside and inside of a 300mm bowl? or do I 'need' something more like cole jaws to remove the tenon from base?)
*A bench grinder for sharpening, haven't thought about which yet. hopefully a cheap 1425rpm grinder if one exists for sub $100, or possibly/probably just a cheap n nasty 2800rpm GMC equivalent.
*adjustable pen mandrel, the cheap one from timberbits for about 16-20bux iirc.

the list seems like something obvious is missing

Thanks

Pat
7th March 2016, 04:06 AM
Steb drives and centres for spindle, start with the 7/8th set. Teknatool/Oneway/Vermec live centres.

You can make your own cole jaws or use other methods to remove the tenon, dremel, carving etc.

One thing you have not mentioned is ppe. A good high impact faceshield, safety glasses and dustmask.

A good sharpening jig to go with the grinder.

chucky
7th March 2016, 04:14 PM
I would suggest you visit Carrolls Woodworking Supplies In Geelong as I am sure they will have most of your needs.

Kuffy
7th March 2016, 04:24 PM
Thanks Pat. Hadn't thought about PPE. I have a respirator and safety glasses as I 'should' be using them often in my normal flat panel work, but I will pick up a faceshield.

There was something obvious missing from my list and it only presented itself to me today when i needed to drill a hole using the drill press this arvo. I need a drill chuck for the tail stock. I'm pretty sure the chuck in my drillpress is #2MT so I might be able to save a few bucks :)

Pat
7th March 2016, 05:09 PM
Kuffy, do yourself a favour and outlay the money on a High impact Faceshield, instead of one of the cheap and nasties . . . when bowls let go, you want to be protected.
Armadillo (https://www.protectoralsafe.com.au/part/01327775/faceshield-complete-armadillo-clear)
Bionic

(http://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Eye_and_Face_Protection/Honeywell_Bionic.aspx?site=/au)

Christos
7th March 2016, 05:41 PM
With your requirement/specification there are a few things that over lap so lets start with the overlapping items.

Face shield
Grinder
Sand paper
Some type of finish
1 x Roughing gouge
1 x Bowl gouge
1 x Parting tool

This list may look very simple which in reality is. I believe that this list of items should be the basic list of items.

Now lets move to your specific questions.

1. Making Pens

Pen Mandrel along with the bushings for the pens that I will make
I will drill my blanks on the drill press
Quick release clamp to hold my blanks(not having my hands close to the drill)
And something to push the pen parts together, a clamp, vise, drill press or lathe.

2. Making A Bowls

Screw chuck(depending on the size of the piece of wood and this normally comes with the chuck you purchase)
Some type of Chuck
Hand chisel to remove the tenon.

* OR Cole jaws, jam chuck, longworth chuck or suction chuck.

3. Making A Table Leg

Live center
Drive center

One thing to consider in this basic list is items are interchangeable and you can make things to accommodate what you are turning. One such example is you already have a face plate. Stick a piece of wood on this and true up the surface. Drill a hole in the center and add a screw from the other side. You have just made a screw chuck.

KBs PensNmore
7th March 2016, 06:12 PM
One of the first things I'd do is to join a Woodturning Club, to get proper training on the use of chisels etc, you'll save a lot of frustration, ie why won't this cut like it shows on youtube??? DAMHIKT.
I found that different length tool rests help a lot, as you need to be about 3mm away from what you are turning, I have about a dozen tool rests starting from 75mm increasing by 25mm to about 300mm long, they are relatively simple to make, Most of mine are made from 12mm diam SS for the chisel to slide along, 25X10 flat bar for the support under the round bar, after about 175mm I used 30X12 as it gives a better support, you'll also need some bright bar for the tool rest where it goes into the banjo, (Tool rest Bracket)
To save money on a Cole jaws, longworth chuck, grab your face plate and attach some 19mm ply, trim off the corners so there a no points but leave enough for what you think will be your largest bowl plus 12-15mm each corner. Before you actually trim the corners draw 2 diagonal lines so that it goes right to the corners, drill a 6mm hole on a radius that will allow for the bowl to sit inside the holes. This will be the backing, mount it on the lathe and turn a few rings approx 12mm apart and 2-3 mm deep, this will help in setting the bowl centrally. Using some more ply (can be a bit thinner 12mm min), cut your squares the same size as your backing and drill to suit your 6mm holes. Bolt this onto your backing using 6mm bolts and turn the centre out, give it a taper to the inside, do several of these in varying diameters, using different length bolts and that should cover you for any bowl bottoms that you'll want to trim/tidy.
You could glue some non slip matting on the tapered edge to prevent marking the bowl.
Kryn
Yes, sometimes called a donut,

Kuffy
7th March 2016, 06:20 PM
Kryn, are you talking about a 'donut'? I happened to come across this idea on youtube last night

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/67/3f/bf/673fbf02b85bb8184d61b73df68f831e.jpg

hughie
7th March 2016, 07:19 PM
A bandsaw

smiife
7th March 2016, 07:36 PM
A bandsaw

i was going to add that:whs:
You know that the list never ends, there
Is always something else you need !:o

Prle77
8th March 2016, 11:37 AM
Definitely go for the faceshield.. Had pieces exploding / flying off the lathe.. and every time that happen the preferred location was my head. I have $30 one from bunnings at the moment (looking to upgrade to a better one) and it already repaid itself at lest 4 times... 4 hits which would cause quite a bit damage to my face / forehead.. and i didn't event fell it.. just a loud thonk!! and a slightly confused / frightened look on my face... and that's it... then on inspection i would find out that a chunk of solid hardwood size slightly larger than tennis ball flew off the piece and went straight towards my head...
Best $30 ever spent so far... :)might want to look at steel toed shoes but that is more of personal choice i guess...

Kuffy
8th March 2016, 12:49 PM
I am well enough equipped with a 14" bandsaw, sliding panelsaw, combo buzzer/thicknesser etc etc in order to prep material before placing on the lathe.

With regards to lessons at a woodturning club. All I can say is maybe/maybe not. I did work for a professional turner for about 8 years, its where I did my wood machining apprenticeship. It was mostly spindle turnings with the occasional very large faceplate turning. I cannot recall ever seeing a lathe chuck in the place at anytime over the 8years. I did some basic turning, so I am aware of how to present the tools to the workpiece, how to set the toolrest heights etc, and I am an absolute pro at 'sandturning'. If I get smacked in the head by exploding bowls occasionally, well that will be a good lesson. If it happens often, then i'll get actual specific bowl turning training ;)

I always wear steel capped boots, I don't own a pair of runners or fancy dress shoes.

I have decided to get

Vicmarc VM100 Chuck Special (http://www.timberbits.com/vicmarc-vm100-chuck-special) (comes with small faceplate thingo which is good)
Pen Mill 6 Cutter Head Set - Timberbits - Made in China (http://www.timberbits.com/pen-mill-6-cutter-head-set.html)
Adjustable Pen Mandrel - Timberbits - Made in Taiwan (http://www.timberbits.com/adjustable-pen-mandrel-mt2.html)
Honeywell Bionic Faceshield Clear PC Uncoated | Staples (http://www.staples.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/honeywell-bionic-faceshield-clear-pc-uncoated/18641219) (this one looks like something out of a computer game, looks cool)
http://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/lathe-accessories/crown-spur-drive-centres (25mm crown)
http://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/lathe-accessories/crown-revolving-live-centre
http://justtools.com.au/kincrome-bench-grinder-150mm-6-with-flexible-led-light-k15150

And then i'll need a bowl gouge and roughing gouge as the taiwanese set I have is just a spindle turning set.

thats $550!!!!!!! not incl the couple of turning tools. More than I paid for the lathe. guess i gotta save up or stop getting food on a daily basis.

KBs PensNmore
8th March 2016, 06:30 PM
Hi Kuffy,
Forgot to mention that you can end up with a small fortune wood turning. How, you might ask, Start with a BIG one !!!!! I have about 5K invested, so far.
With your pen mill, I ended up getting a carbide tipped one, acrylics and hard wood plays merry hell with the others, have about 5 sets of them in the drawer.
You'll need white stones for the grinder, they work better on HSS chisels.
Kryn

Sawdust Maker
8th March 2016, 07:36 PM
chainsaw

Christos
9th March 2016, 12:31 PM
chainsaw

Or visit a friend that has a chainsaw. :q

Kuffy
9th March 2016, 12:44 PM
You guys will get me trouble with the neighbours if I start cutting up logs in the backyard. If I get any logs, ill just cut them with a handsaw. It's harder work but atleast this way the neighbours won't sic their dogs on to me.

Old Croc
9th March 2016, 09:26 PM
Hi Kuffy,
The only thing in your list I did not like is the different size Drive Centre and Live Centre. If you get the same size, it makes it so easy to reverse any spindle turning.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Oddy
13th March 2016, 11:45 AM
I have decided to get
Honeywell Bionic Faceshield Clear PC Uncoated | Staples (http://www.staples.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/honeywell-bionic-faceshield-clear-pc-uncoated/18641219) (this one looks like something out of a computer game, looks cool)

That's a nice looking face shield, but I think you will find it is only rated "medium impact" - best suited to small particles. I think for wood turning might be better off with one of the "high impact" rated face shields.

BobL
13th March 2016, 06:44 PM
That's a nice looking face shield, but I think you will find it is only rated "medium impact" - best suited to small particles. I think for wood turning might be better off with one of the "high impact" rated face shields.

The Bionic and the Armadillo are both rated at
AS/NZS 1337.1:2010 High impact protection, hot solids and splash resistance

Of the two I prefer the Armadillo. It has a true 3D curved surface so is capable of providing superior impact performance plus it has better below eye level and side viewing than the Bionic.

Apart from a face mask, no one Has mentioned dust extraction.

Sturdee
13th March 2016, 07:11 PM
Apart from a face mask, no one Has mentioned dust extraction.

We left that for you Bob. :U

Peter.

Kuffy
13th March 2016, 08:08 PM
For dust extraction. I know I will be wasting my time trying to catch the chips because they go all over the place. But for the dust generated from cutting and mostly sanding, I will place a 6" port above the lathe bed, hopefully below face level if it isn't an inconvenience. Ill put some kind of shroud around the port, kinda like a bellmouth but without being so technical. This port will be directly inline with where the dust goes when I sand. Basically the dust goes straight up behind the workpiece.

I went to Timbecon the other day and picked up bits n pieces. Cheap was the aim of the game. I picked up one of there nameless 4" chucks (looks good, feels good, must be good), crown drive spur and live cup center and a Sherwood 550watt 8" bench grinder which runs at 2850RPM and comes with a grey (carborundum, i think, coarse wheel) and a 40mm wide alum-oxide fine wheel, it runs quiet and is well balanced.

Paul39
14th March 2016, 06:14 AM
Kuffy,

See below if you haven't.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/please-help-fair-price-lathe-203538#post1936854