PDA

View Full Version : Reused pallets for repalcing lining boards.

Last Dog
7th March 2016, 04:36 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone ever stripped a pallet down, trimmed the edges, tongued and grooved it and run it trough a thicknesser to use the wood for eaves lining replacement ??

Nanigai
7th March 2016, 11:37 PM
Not me, but others are using pallets to make some great recycled items like THIS (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f254/pallet-challenge-2015-creative-pallet-196892).

Cheers, Ian

joe greiner
8th March 2016, 04:13 PM
I'd run it through the thicknesser first, to ensure alignment of the T & G.

Cheers,
Joe

Prle77
21st March 2016, 11:15 PM
before running through thicknesser I would highly recommend using metal detector... will save you lots of time and money... Hidden nails, embedded screws and other things are there just to destroy your brand new blade you spend so much time to perfectly align.....
And they are cheap $15 - $20 ebay saves a lot of time, money and frustration...
Done some small boxes out of pallet wood.. and that little metal detector saved my blades several times...

Fuzzie
22nd March 2016, 07:54 AM
Before you use the metal detector, scrub the boards down with a wire brush to get rid of the dirt and grit embedded in the boards. I ran my pallet timber over the 6" jointer first since I figured fixing damaged 6" blades was going to be easier than thicknesser blades.

Trying to get usable longer boards out of a pallet was a challenge. The majority of my boards were wany, had crushed edges and/or large holes from nail penetration/removal. For an eaves lining that is going to be painted, most of that damage could probably be fixed using builders bog. Disassembling enough pallets to reline any significant run of eaves might not be a cost effective use of time.

Last Dog
24th March 2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks all for the replies and the pros and cons. The metal detector sounds good advice. Any holes i would possibly plug before i passed them through the thicknesser. I will let you know how things are going and hopefully add a few photos.
Regards All Paul.

hadoanngoc
7th May 2016, 09:19 PM
thanks all :D