PDA

View Full Version : swimming pool plumbing

reybec
14th August 2005, 12:02 PM
hi everyone

does anyone know if the pipes in the skimmer box on the pool (there are 2) are connected to the drain on the floor of the pool.
if they are could i connect the 2 pipes in the skimmer box together and use the backwash on the filter to empty the water off the bottom of the pool?

i hired a submersible pump to empty out most of the water but you can't get it all out with that & it's also rained
i really need to know how to get the remaining water out as i want to repaint the pool.

if that wont work does anyone have any suggestions that wont involve hiring pumps etc besides using a bucket
i have used an old pump to remove the remaining water but that has since packed up completely
thank you

dai sensei
14th August 2005, 07:00 PM
The drain on the bottom of the pool is usually a backpressure valve - to let water from the outside in, when the pool is empty, if the pressure builds up too much and stop your pool "popping" out of the ground. Not usually for drainage.

For mine, I used the submersable for as far as it can pump it, then the bucket.

reybec
14th August 2005, 07:16 PM
thanks for that

i actually went to the pool shop and asked them today & was told the same thing.looks like i'll have to rehire the pump or spend a day on buckets

dai sensei
14th August 2005, 07:28 PM
Another idea is using a hose as a siphon. If you don't have enough fall on your block, you might get away with dropping the hose down a sewer/stormwater observation point. Just remove the PVC disc at the top and see how deep the pipes are. Your not supposed to use sewer for pool water, but if it's just the last bit I'm sure no-one would mind.

spitnchips
15th August 2005, 12:35 AM
My pool has 2 pipes coming into skimmerbox. 1 above the plate for kreepy krawley and 1 below ( which is usually plugged ) I unplug the one below which is connected to drain and blank off kreepy krawley skimmerbox plate, turn valve to drain on filter and run pump. hope this helps

Tankstand
15th August 2005, 07:58 AM
Your not supposed to use sewer for pool water

I have been told differently!

When back washing, it is to go to sewer to be treated at the plant, not to be sent to the street and then to the ocean!

Iain
15th August 2005, 08:52 AM
I suspect that could vary from council to council with their by laws, we had to connect our backwash to stormwater.
God knows what it did to the fish population in the creek that was only about 200 metres away.
But then when you saw all the other crap that was in there, I suspect that my dirty filter was like a breath of fresh air.
We alkso had to empty the pool one year and used a bucket for the last few inches, took forever.
Then you have the pleasure of two pack painting, that is a real joy :mad:

rhack
15th August 2005, 02:21 PM
As I understand it, whether the hydrostatic valve at the bottom is connected to the skimmer depends on how old the pool is. In the past it was connected so you could empty the pool via the pump. Then some girl got her hair caught in the valve and didn't surface... Design rules changed. Now they don't connect it to the pump system.
So it might be worth investigating what your setup is.

I believe that emptying into stormwater is a big no-no (in NSW). Pool water is considered to contain 'bio-hazards'. Not sure about sewered properties - we're rural and they made a fuss about having a proper drainage pit - blue metal, engineering specs etc etc, certain distance from watercourses etc etc.

When we emptied a neighbour's pool for a refinish we couldn't get the last 100mm with a sump pump or siphon, so we used one of those water feature fountain pumps ($50 from a hardware store). Removed the hydro valve cover plate and stuck it in the hole. Pumped from the pool into a 200L drum sitting on the pool floor. When the drum got full we emptied it with the sump pump.
Took all weekend, but much easier on the back.
-r

Ian the carver
7th December 2005, 03:50 PM
I've recently drained my pool completely empty using a venturi pump which the local pool bloke lent me. It attaches to the garden hose (town supply pressure req'd) and the venturi effect pumps huge amounts of water in next to no time. No power required.

E. maculata
7th December 2005, 06:47 PM
G'day Ian, bleedin great ain't they you can also empty the sand filter with them:) .

Luddite
8th December 2005, 06:56 AM
The venturi pumps are incredible, and pump an enormous amount of water without needing power. I had used one, and then bought one at the hardware for about $30....everyone who has a pool should own one, they are so useful.
Anthony

ivanavitch
9th December 2005, 12:18 AM
The drain at the bottom is both a back pressure valve and connected to the skimmer - at least the ones I have seen are. To prove if it is, fill the skimmer box. If the water disappears then chances are it has flowed into the pool via the pipe to the bottom.

Then put the vacuum plate in the skimmer box (providing it isn't one with a bypass), block the hose hole (in the vac plate) and you should be able to pump it out on backwash. You will need to run a hose very slowly in the skimmer box to provide an adequate seal.

Also, if it is nearly pumped out the you are going to have to work out a way of priming the pump. Pool pumps are lousy at pumping air

seanr
9th December 2005, 03:08 AM
concrete pool or fibreglass? always be very careful when you empty a pool !!! seen many pop up or walls cave in .... We have a couple of those venturi pumps made from stainless , one of the knobs that work for us lent one out with no I.D. $150 gone.. Also be very careful what products you paint your pool with ... 90% are carp.. Any questions feel free to ask ...
My family has a local pool shop here in WA ... I dont have a pool as i see all the $$$ spent every day...

Bodgy
9th December 2005, 08:28 AM
Sean

Could you recommend a paint please. I have a concrete. ex Marblesheen, pool. I painted it with 2 pot about 11 years ago. The paint has detriorated and is powdering off. This causes the water to be cloudy and the sand filter doesn't pick it up. Hence constant problems.

Ta

markharrison
9th December 2005, 08:59 PM
While it's empty, have it filled in. Best thing you can do with the bu**ers!

I was spending what little free time I had cleaning ours because the missus didn't want to. I went on strike and threatened to fill it in without warning. She blinked :-)

Bodgy
9th December 2005, 09:46 PM
While it's empty, have it filled in. Best thing you can do with the bu**ers!

I was spending what little free time I had cleaning ours because the missus didn't want to. I went on strike and threatened to fill it in without warning. She blinked :-)

Agree, I hate the things

Well done with HI, a battle won but the war continues.........

seanr
9th December 2005, 11:57 PM
best option , get a liner put in it . I cant recommend a paint as all we hear is peoples problems . Never heard a complaint about a liner pool though . Not sure over there but over here there is plenty of companies doing it and they can be made to any shape . Biggest problem with concrete pools is that you must keep the calcium level up . Many pool shops dont even check calcium levels although it is a very important check to do especially in concrete pools . The only down side is your salt cell needs cleaning all the time although there are now self cleaning models available . Pools are very simple . (1)Salt water (2) auto cleaner (3) pool cover . (4) sand filter . If anyone tries to sell you any other option walk away . Over here the pool companies are floggin cartridge filters and auto liquid chlorine machines with new pools . We spend half our service time replacing them .

havenoideaatall
20th April 2006, 09:59 PM
best option , get a liner put in it . I cant recommend a paint as all we hear is peoples problems . Never heard a complaint about a liner pool though . Not sure over there but over here there is plenty of companies doing it and they can be made to any shape . Biggest problem with concrete pools is that you must keep the calcium level up . Many pool shops dont even check calcium levels although it is a very important check to do especially in concrete pools . The only down side is your salt cell needs cleaning all the time although there are now self cleaning models available . Pools are very simple . (1)Salt water (2) auto cleaner (3) pool cover . (4) sand filter . If anyone tries to sell you any other option walk away . Over here the pool companies are floggin cartridge filters and auto liquid chlorine machines with new pools . We spend half our service time replacing them .

We've got a liner and to be honest, cleaning it is no big deal. That's the first time in ages I've heard someone praise a liner pool.

cheers

mrsxtro
21st April 2006, 10:32 AM
Seanr,
Hoping you won't mind giving out some free advice!
We are soon to have a fibreglass pool (10.3m x 4.3m) put in on our 8 acre block. It comes with a cartridge filter. Should we upgrade to the sand filter??? It's an extra $250. Do they take much water to flush them? We will only have tank water. And should we have a self cleaning salt chlorinator or just a standard one?
Thanks in advance.
-mrsxtro.

Chris Parks
22nd April 2006, 12:20 AM
As Seanr said way back when, pool cover, pool cleaner, salt chlorinator, sand filter. The pool cover stops water loss and pools lose a LOT of water with no cover on them. If you can afford it, buy a RayVac cleaner. These things work automatically when the filter is on and have no moving parts at all in them. A bit exy but I would recommend it over all other cleaners. The one draw back is I think it needs to be installed when the pool plumbing is done as it requires a separate line plumbed in for its operation.
http://www.jandy.com/html/products/cleaners/rayvac.php
Pools are not a lot of trouble if set up correctly as above. I never have to vacuum mine at all and I have trees all round the pool.

Willy
10th July 2006, 06:40 PM
Seanr,
Hoping you won't mind giving out some free advice!
We are soon to have a fibreglass pool (10.3m x 4.3m) put in on our 8 acre block. It comes with a cartridge filter. Should we upgrade to the sand filter??? It's an extra $250. Do they take much water to flush them? We will only have tank water. And should we have a self cleaning salt chlorinator or just a standard one?
Thanks in advance.
-mrsxtro.

Hi Mrsxtro,
I will say that I dont no everything about pools but I have had a Aboveground pool for 3 years and it had a Sand Filter, to be honest it wasted a lot of water when backwashing.

We now have a FibreGlass pool the same size that you are talking about and we got a cartridge filter, I take it out and give it a quick 5min hose every 4 weeks and I would say that we are using a lot less water, also make sure you get a blanket its a pain to pull off when ya going for a quick dip but you will save water that way.

Go the self clean salt chlorinator, if ya like me I like the taste of Saltwater and feel so I always have to much in thas what the pool shop tells me so I still need to clean it every now and then, its easy just dip in some acid that the pool shop will give you and 5 mins its as clean as new.:)

PS: you can reuse the Acid many times I have only just got a new bottle after 4 Years

You also dont mention if you are on Wter tanks?

Willy

wilco
10th July 2006, 07:21 PM
Hello Guys,

For those that would like a little info on swimming pools take a look at this link

http://www.rise.com.au/training/courses/download.asp?id=1

for those with the time i would check out http://www.rise.com.au/training/courses/training_course.asp?id=69 for the home pool operator

I am the Operations Manager at a large regional centre so can offer a little advice if anyone has any questions regarding swimming pools

http://www.goldfieldsoasis.com.au/

Thanks,
Luke