PDA

View Full Version : removing gunk from surface of new tools??

Wild Dingo
14th August 2005, 04:50 PM
So... finally! Ive been able to prove the machinery that survived the great washout of May this year still work! Amazingly I lost very little by way of the still in their boxes new tools... thank whatever was watchin over that sea container out the back when the rains washed everything else down river

So anyways as Im starting to get them sorted and setup ready for the amazing new yet to be bought and constructed ubeaut shed I got to wondering and then thought Ive probably asked this before but well as Im about to fly out tomorrow morning again I dont really have time for the major search... so... I will just ask dumb question number 600,987 ;)

Question being... With these tools having some sort of gunk and goo over their cast iron surfaces along with some sort of protective paper type covering... can someone tell me whats the best way of removing the gunk and goo? the paper stuff just lifts away leaving the whole surface covered in this muck

the 10HB saw and the 8in jointer seem to be absolutely slathered in the crud! :rolleyes:

Sturdee
14th August 2005, 06:00 PM
Shane, I use kerosene to clean all that crud of the machines.

Peter.

fletty
14th August 2005, 06:39 PM
You deserve a bit of luck, I think we should all come around and clean them up for you!
I remove the paper, wipe down with mineral turps and wax immediately (Ubeaut of course!) with steel wool or scotchbrite as I go.
BTW the waxing enthusiasm MUST take into account that there are sharp bits like thicknesser blades just lying there waiting to remove skin ... the doctor says that the wounds are healing because the cut was "so clean"!
Fletty

Harry72
14th August 2005, 11:34 PM
Most gear(turps,kero)takes a fair amount of elbow grease... grab a heat gun and a paint scraper get the most off, then hit the rest with some prepwash(dewaxing car stuff)comes off with one wipe!(no elbow grease...)

hingston
15th August 2005, 02:06 PM
Shane,Clean it up with Kero. when dry buff with soft car wax. Not only will it help your stock move smooth a silk accross the table but it will retain that shiny new look. You use the wax from the $2 shop and recoat as required.