PDA

View Full Version : Router for Leigh D4R Pro

CharlieZ
11th March 2016, 01:13 PM
I'm in the market for a new router and am also seriously thinking of the Leigh D4R Pro + VRS dust vacuum. I have a dedicated older model monster Triton in my router table so the new router would be entirely for hand-held work, including as a priority for the Leigh jig. So I've been researching (including this forum) what a sensible buy might be - evidence (mostly os) among users of routers for dovetail jig work indicates strong preferences for:

having 2 machines equally set up - for straight cuts the other dovetails. (My old Bosch GOF1300 could step up here)
fixed base over plunge. Common argument is that plunge units risk accidentally releasing the lock and damaging the jig, and they're more top heavy. Fixed base units have lower centre of gravity and are more manageable to control.
lighter/less powerful (around 3-4kg and 1400W?) over big and heavy (5kg+). Experience among users suggests not too much power is needed for dovetailing, so big machines are an overkill and way too heavy for careful and stable handling on the jig
using dedicated 8mm Leigh bits, into an 8mm collet machine, rather than using 1/2" reducer.
strong support for Festool routers among their users, but price barrier for others, including me

Looking at what's available in Oz, the best fits seem to be:

1/2" fixed based Makita 3601B (1050W, 3.5Kg) $610
8mm Metabo OF1229 plunge (1200W, 3.4Kg) $500
Triton MOF001 dual mode 1/2" (1400 4.7Kg) $339

Then there's a list of 1/2" machines, many of which should be fine. I've shortlisted:

DeWalt DW621-XE (1100W 3.1Kg) $529
Bosch GOF1600CE (1400W, 5.8Kg) $449
Makita RP1800 (1850W, 6Kg) $459

So now I'm stuck. I like the sound of the Triton, but its heavy and some commentary hints that quality is not as good as it used to be (my old Triton has very sloppy micro adjusts). I'm not yet convinced of the benefits of buying the expensive, fixed based Makita, but maybe stability and weight will pay off on the Leigh?

I also like the weight and generally positive reviews of the Dewalt and the Metabo (but its restriction to 8mm is an issue).

Anyway I'd value the thoughts of you veteran Leigh D4R users on what has worked for you, and if you were buying new now, what you would choose.

Thanks, Charlie

Superbunny
11th March 2016, 01:44 PM
I have the Leigh jig and got a secondhand Black and Decker from the 1960s in almost as new condition for it, they once made great tools back in the 60s. The reason is you need the right base for the insert for the guide that follows the dovetail fingers on the jig. I think Leigh on there website might have a listing of what fits their guide and whether you can get an insert to accommodate the guide bush. I agree that a fixed base is best and it is easier to make fine adjustments for depth and the balance is much better. I say do a little more research on the type of base you will need and you will be happy with the results as I am. Their guid is adjustable to get a perfect cut.

SB

lesmeyer
11th March 2016, 06:20 PM
Hi, I have used my Triton MOF001 on the Leigh D4R and while the result is good, it is a little fiddly to insert the dovetail cutters (no problem with the straight cutters). The reason for this is that the cutter is inserted and tightened with the router fully plunged which means that the guide bush is then loosened which defeats the purpose of accuracy as explained by the Leigh manuals about manufacturing tolerances and concentricity.
It is better (but not absolutely a requirement) to have a router that does not have the Triton limitation in this regard which is one of their major selling points of the safety factor of the router.
I now use my Festool OF1400 and once used the Makita 3601B.
The best router I ever used (but do not own) on the Leigh jig was when doing demos at the Perth wood show with the Festool OF1010. Although only 1000W this router has great balance and also takes 8mm cutters but not the 1/2" cutters for the larger joints that is possible with the D4R.
Have a look at the Bosch GOF1600. Seems like a reasonable router from what I have heard and seen.
Regards
Les

rayintheuk
12th March 2016, 08:20 AM
I regularly use my Triton MOF001 on the Leigh, but I bought their JOF001 specifically for use with the jig and it's great! My review at The Triton 1010W Router - JOF001 (http://www.raygirling.com/jof001.htm)

Ray