PDA

View Full Version : Gallipoli Pine pen blanks

Ironwood
15th March 2016, 08:52 PM
The Gallipoli Pine that was planted in the Walkerston Anzac Park died recently, I know the bloke who maintains the park, when he said it was going to be cut down, I asked what was going to be done with it.
He said he wanted a piece of the trunk to make a mount for an old WW1 pistol, he said the rest would be dumped unless I took it.
I took the rest of the trunk which was about 1200mm long and 150/120mm diameter. I have broken it down into smaller bits, some I cut into pen blanks.
There is blue stain already present in the timber, but I have soaked all the cut bits in a fungicide solution to try and prevent it getting worse.

In hindsight I should have got some of the smaller sections as well, these could have made more pen blanks.

I plan to make some things using this timber, they will be given to the local RSL, they will keep some in their display, and perhaps use some for fundraising.
There should be quite a few pen blanks left over, I will get permission from the RSL and hopefully be able to use the leftovers for pens for the troops.
If this comes about, I will give some of these blanks to others who turn pens for the troops, if they are wanted.

Simomatra
16th March 2016, 12:13 PM
Many thanks Brad you are doing a great job, the blanks look great and I do like the blue tinge to them.

Ironwood
16th March 2016, 06:11 PM
Cheers Sam. Yes, I think it gives the blanks a bit of character, especially the 2-tone ones.

I found a bit of info on the tree, apparently its a seedling grown from the cones of the tree that was grown from a cone/seed that was collected from under the Lone Pine in Gallipoli.
This tree was planted at the Anzac park in 2006 by De-Anne Kelly.

Walkerston Community News Pages: The Story of the Lone Pine tree at Walkerston's Anzac Park (http://walkerston.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/the-story-of-lone-pine-tree-at.html)

I would think the pens made from this tree would have sentimental value because of the origins of the timber.

Simomatra
17th March 2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the link Brad a good read. Yes the pens made will be very special

PenTurner
17th March 2016, 12:56 PM
Good idea Sam,:2tsup: I will be willing to make some. Amos:)

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2016, 08:56 AM
I know this is a bit after ANZAC day but if you want to send me, say, 10 blanks I'll do some pens for the troops
It's about time I did some more

gregbr
25th March 2018, 08:05 PM
Hi,
do you have any of the pine blanks left?
I'd be interested in a couple for a project that I am working on.
cheers

Simomatra
9th June 2019, 01:11 PM
Sorry just saw this all blanks were used