PDA

View Full Version : Another Would-be Lathe User

yvan
15th March 2016, 09:58 PM
I have this idea/notion of refurbishing some old chisels I have, including turning new handles in the process.

I have never used a lathe before and just noticed that Carbatec are offering a midi lathe - Teknatool Nova Comet including a G3 Rev chuck Pack - for what appears to be a reasonable $. Would such a beast be an overkill for what I wish to do?

Should I be wiser and attend wood-turning classes before even thinking about such a purchase even if the offer looks tempting?

All views will be gratefully received.

yvan

Sturdee
15th March 2016, 10:26 PM
Should I be wiser and attend wood-turning classes before even thinking about such a purchase even if the offer looks tempting?

yvan

Yes, you may well find that turning is not for you.

Peter.

Paul39
16th March 2016, 12:46 PM
Yvan,

By getting some instruction and / or going to a mens shed, you would find how much stuff you will need to be turning.

Buying a lathe is like buying a router or a DVD player, it is just the beginning.

Christos
17th March 2016, 07:07 AM
.....Should I be wiser and attend wood-turning classes before even thinking about such a purchase even if the offer looks tempting?......

I did the reverse where I purchased some second hand chisels, got hold of a lathe that needed to be restored and then got some instructions. :U

Quite an interesting journey and it is turning out to be a fun one. I will say that it can be very expensive in a very short time.

Optimark
17th March 2016, 03:24 PM
Worst case scenario, you find turning is not for you, so you decide to sell what you have purchased.

Normal price for those two units, lathe and chuck is $1,000 in round figures.

Starting price for anything second hand is usually around 50% of new, plus or minus for condition. Presumably you would be selling the lathe and any accessories in an as new condition, so to speak. Then I would suggest a starting price of 75% which is $750, say a bit more because the item is really like new, then 80% would be pretty reasonable, which is $800.

As the combination unit is priced at $824, you would be losing $24 at best, or possibly $74 at worst. I do know there are other variables, like freight etcetera, but……………………..

I have a much older and much heavier version of Nova lathe, the 1644. The owner of my lathe, was selling it to purchase (I believe) what you are contemplating purchasing just as they came onto the market.

My brother sold his heavier and bigger, but not better lathe, to part fund that exact same lathe. To say he is over the moon with it would be an understatement. Going on the amount of work he is now turning out with his new lathe, he must almost be sleeping with it.

Your suggestion/question about getting what seems to be a reasonable deal, has merit, with learning how to use it at a later date ringing a bell with me. I did exactly what you are contemplating. I really didn’t know much about wood turning on a lathe, my only experience with a lathe of any kind, was mid-way through last century in tech school for two terms where I made a couple of tools on a metal lathe, that was it until after retirement.

I chanced upon a lathe on this forum, sounded reasonably good, although, what would I really know. The price seemed to be in the slightly lower range of what similar units were going for, I bought it.

After getting it home, I telephoned my brother and said, “Guess what?” He brought around a real motley handful of cheaper than cheap turning tools, which I sharpened up with a second cut then a first cut metal files; talk about doing things wrong. With other commitments now gone, I am getting into turning; life is pretty good now.

One suggestion if I may? If you do decide to go ahead with this lathe, then consider the extension bed accessory, it really can and does make this little unit able to operate with quite long stuff if you so desire. My brother picked one up with his lathe.

NOVA Comet Bed Extension
SKU 47001

Enables the Comet II Midi Lathe to be extended in length, perfect for longer spindle projects.
You can see it here, scroll down to near the end of the page, as well as a picture of one on a machine at the top of the page:
NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe (http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Nova_CometII.htm)

Mick.