PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my variable speed lathe

dai sensei
24th March 2016, 02:06 PM
My mobile lathe is a Woodfast midi that I converted to variable speed with a 110V dc motor and transformer/speed controller (like this one Input AC220V Output DC0 110V Motor Speed Controller 600W AU | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Input-AC220V-Output-DC0-110V-Motor-Speed-Controller-600W-AU-/141932183693?hash=item210bd1408d))
. When drilling holes in pepper grinders I normally lower the belt down to the lowest speed pulley, but today I forgot when I was doing a large hole, and the whole thing stopped.

Couldn't see anything obviously wrong nor any of my reset switches did any good. I checked the fuse in the transformer and sure enough blown. Replaced it but just blew straight away again. Disconnected the motor and fuse doesn't blow. Checked output to motor from transformer and it is 348V DC in lieu of 110V?????

Any suggestions on what else I can check/do?

Drillit
24th March 2016, 03:21 PM
Hello Neil,
A suggestion from afar. I had a similar problem and the Inverter had blown. Bought a bigger one from
Euro-drive at Wetherill Park on advice from an electrical engineer friend. That fixed the problem and I can now turn much heavy pieces with good low speed torgue.
I have a heavy duty Durden. Interestingly, I was using a large forstner bit to take out the centre of a large bowl when mine just stopped and like you I tried
obvious options from a lay perspective. Hope that helps. Drillit.

dai sensei
24th March 2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks Drillit. I still have my larger inverter I used to use with the previous variable speed controller that came with the motor. When the controller died I bought this one as it was an inverter and controller combined and a lot smaller.

Do you know what you got from Eurodrive? Inverter with separate speed controller? Any links would be good.

Thanks

StevoWoodi
18th May 2016, 11:24 PM
Hi there Drillit, I have recently acquired a Durden Top Turn 400 lathe with 4 step pulley and 1.5hp 240V motor. In the medium term I would like to move to a variable speed drive. I was thinking of going to a 2hp motor as part of the upgrade and was wondering if your lathe is similar if you could let me know your set up and if you do anything differently?

Thanks, Steve