PDA

View Full Version : Carpet in Toilet

Hootsmon
15th August 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi,
I'm from the UK originally, where it is common to install carpets in toliet and bathroom. I'm keen to do the same in our separate toilet over here. However all the capet people look at me like I'm some kind of freak. Is this normal?

custos
15th August 2005, 07:17 PM
Yes it's normal for people to look at you as if you were some kind of freak to put carpet in your toilet :) I'm not sure how to put this, but don't you have any men or boys in your household? If you do, surely a flooring that's *ahem* easy to wipe up would be more appropriate than carpet...? :confused:

Stylesy
15th August 2005, 07:20 PM
Yellow carpet, definitely go for yellow carpet. :p

Hootsmon
15th August 2005, 07:29 PM
We normally **** straight in the UK. Thats one of the reasons the empire lasted so long

ozwinner
15th August 2005, 07:31 PM
Carpet in the toilet, would make it a tad difficult to flush though.

Al :D

Stuart
15th August 2005, 07:37 PM
Have seen it once - ex-girlfriend's father did it in both toilet and bathrooms. He sourced a special, rubber-backed carpet specifically designed for the job. As to shooting straight, he had 4 daughters- guess he had no problems there. (and a toilet mat is generally a good idea.....)

custos
15th August 2005, 07:46 PM
We normally straight in the UK. Thats one of the reasons the empire lasted so long
Really? And here's me thinking it was the Westminster political system :D

Seriously, how about young boys...? When my son was 3-5 he was spraying the stuff all over the joint. Carpet would have been a disaster.

Christopha
15th August 2005, 07:50 PM
No problem for them denizens of the united queendom, they all sit to peee anyway!

Carpet in a wet area, filthy barstewards!!!!!

Jacksin
15th August 2005, 08:10 PM
I guess with all that cold weather in the UK their sense of smell froze up.

Pee soaked carpet would stink to high heaven in no time.
Jack

ozwinner
15th August 2005, 08:15 PM
Speak for ya self, mine smells of freshly cut grass in the sping time, with the over scent of roses. :D

Al :o

maglite
15th August 2005, 09:06 PM
You should be looking for some stuff called FLOTEX... i would post a link to a website but i am as good a woodworker as i am a computer guru......but at least i try hard:D

Flotex is actually a flocked vinyl than looks and acts like carpet but doesnt have the stain or smell retention properties that you would expect from a carpet.
Very easy to clean if done properley and will last for donkeys years if treated correctly.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

Auld Bassoon
15th August 2005, 09:10 PM
We normally straight in the UK. Thats one of the reasons the empire lasted so long

Not to mention that a tiled floor that's at 2 deg C at 02:00 in the morning isn't one of life's better momentshttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

Pat
15th August 2005, 09:22 PM
Here is the UK website (http://www.flotex.co.uk/pages/home/) No Aussie one that I can find. Try the infamouse google or ring your local flooring mob. Hope it helps.

Hootsmon
15th August 2005, 10:11 PM
Flotex looks the go or should I just get cheap stuff and see how it goes?

Though my folks have had carpet for years and it didnt smell bad.

I'm gonna have to lay it myself as the blokes at various carpet 'experts' reckon it'll void the warranty being 'laid in a wet area'. *sniggers* I reckon my warranty is buggered then!
Peeing straight put the great in Britain. It's what separates us from the monkeys

aabb
15th August 2005, 10:16 PM
Peeing straight put the great in Britain. It's what separates us from the monkeys

Think is has also something to do with way pee goes into bowl in clockwise manner as opposed to backwards in these parts :p

Auld Bassoon
15th August 2005, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Christopha]No problem for them denizens of the united queendom, they all sit to peee anyway!
QUOTE]

Hi Christopha,

Another believer in the old aphorism of "why wear a belt if you can't hit under it" eh?

Thankfully, I'm not a pom (I hail from a more sourtherly clime), else I might have been a tad miffed...http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

Ashore
15th August 2005, 10:40 PM

And how true , bit of a shame however that more of you don't **** off.
Makes you more human http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Just Messin wif ya Hootsmon

A place called clark rubber make as imitation grass ( no good for smoking though ) , and there was also a bathroom carpet produced years ago but did retain water and smell
The other alternative is to put under floor wire heating ,tile over the top , then you can still have tile but without the cold .

Useless infomation for the day

Man who farts in church sit in his own pew.

routermaniac
15th August 2005, 10:59 PM
maybe a cold floor is beneficial, wakes you up and makes sure you aim straight :) :) :) :) :) :) :) , the carpet would have the disadvantage of keeping you more comfy and less awake and hence will likely smell after a while :D

Theres a good reason boys why most hospitals avoid carpets in patients rooms... ;)

wombat47
16th August 2005, 08:31 AM
Not a totally crazy idea. But perhaps something we aren't quite used to.

Knew a motor trimmer years ago who carpeted the floor and walls of his toilet with a carpet designed for use in sea water boats. His wife, who was initially dead against the idea, ended up being thoroughly impressed by the low maintenance and ease of cleaning. You could actually get in and hose the room if necessary.

The carpet was some sort of synthetic stuff which was glued on, without underlay. Suppose if it was capable of withstanding and repelling constant sea spray, it could withstand any other sort of spray.

Iain
16th August 2005, 08:51 AM
There are industrial grade carpets which will resist just about anything.
I know the carpets usewd in Victorian gaols are fire resistant, we actually set fires on them when evaluating them to see how good they were, they simply do not burn or mark.

Kev Y.
16th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Though my folks have had carpet for years and it didnt smell bad.

so it did smell then?, I have NEVER seen a throne room carpeted, Surly it woul dbe easier and more hygenic to put down a mat

SO your NOT a friend of ZED's then :confused: :p

Hector_L
16th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Funny enough the place I just bought has carpet in the bathroom, it's white in colour, the dunny is not in the bathroom but the carpet is going as sson as I move in.... hopefully tomorrow....

silentC
16th August 2005, 11:04 AM
The ensuite in our house had carpet in it. Blue fluffy stuff. Needless to say we ripped it out and tiled the floor.

Haven't they heard of slippers in the UK?

soundman
16th August 2005, 11:22 AM
I've said it before & Ill say it again. There is no such thing as clean carpet.
Unless you can roll it up & put it in wth washing machine you will never get all the #### out of it.
Don't you guys know about slippers. Invented by the arabs I understand.

LineLefty
16th August 2005, 11:54 AM
Why dont you put the carpet in and just sit? Hang on, no thats a bad idea.

ptrott
16th August 2005, 02:30 PM
SLIPPERS for the FEET
CARPET for the SEAT???
Should keep the feet and the (l) warm.

Clinton1
16th August 2005, 02:33 PM
Just stay away from dodgy kebabs, or don't bring home any "Bali belly".

Actually you can buy toilet floor "rugs", neat little rectangle's with a cut out for the s-bend. Washable things too. :D

Hootsmon
16th August 2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah,

I'd be using some of the mats around the S bend. I'm gonna get some cheap carpet from one of the outlets and lay it myself and give it six months to see what happens. I don't have (or want) any kids so It'll just be me and some of my drunk mates aim to worry about. SWMBO will present no problems obviously.
I dont think it'll stink though.

Bella
16th August 2005, 04:48 PM
My Mum had carpet in her ensuit and it was great! It was white shag pile and didn't smell or get dirty at all. She still used bath mats and those mats around the toilet.

Personally as a chick that really feels the cold, I'd LOVE carpet in the toilet. I have to make a path of mats from the bathroom door to the toilet to step on in the middle of the night to keep my toes from freezing off. Carpet would look much more respectable than mats everywhere.

HappyHammer
16th August 2005, 05:10 PM
Hootsman just convert to tiles it's great getting out of the shower and not worrying about dripping water on the floor and if the tub overflows who cares you've got a drain. Will you be carpeting over the drain?

Don't go carpet it's crap I converted when I came over and I've never looked back.

HH.

Hootsmon
16th August 2005, 10:52 PM
All good replies folks,

However it is a separate toilet, no shower or basin just a loo in a room 2.6M x 0.9M with one window, no drain, floorboards and a door. I'll post a picture if you like before and after the pommie **** catcher goes down. The missus is keen for carpet. However we're not talking axeminster here just cheapo 18 bucks/ M2 to see how it goes

Bodgy
16th August 2005, 11:11 PM
Carpet in the dunnies????

Mate, even my wooden toilet seats get to be replaced every couple of years, the brass fittings (Chinese version) corrode away.

I do have a teenage boy who has become fond of beer and has dozens of his dopey mates always around, oh, and my dopey mates (who are equally fond of beer), have bladders more capacious and whose aim is oft astray.

A serious question. Any bright ideas as to how to fix a wooden dunny seat once the brass fitings corrode away? I have a fair few, which I've kept. It seems crazy to go buy more when all thats wrong is basically the hinge.

On re-reading the above, I feel I may have left myself open to forum humour here.

Bodgy
Even fools are right sometimes - WSC

helga
17th August 2005, 09:22 AM
I'm thinking of installing a stainless steel wire mesh floor in my new bathroom!

scooter
22nd August 2005, 03:32 PM
...we actually set fires on them when evaluating them to see how good they were, they simply do not burn or mark.

Evaluating carpet Iain, hmmm, used to be called doing porridge :o

Guess they didn't use that type in Jika Jika...

Cheers................Sean....... Nagle collegian, not Bluestone ;)

ptc
22nd August 2005, 05:41 PM
No carpet when your over 70.

Iain
22nd August 2005, 05:47 PM
Guess they didn't use that type in Jika Jika...

That was contact cement "K Div Napalm"
Anyway, I've finished my time and finally free, God it feels like it too even though I got to go home every night, and I wasn't even involved in the running of the places :eek: