PDA

View Full Version : G'Day....again and help

coollamon
29th March 2016, 06:26 PM
After several months of trying to teach myself various forms of carpentry e.g making boxes, making picture frames , making work benches etc and suffering several pretty chunky injuries (most recently a small chisel through my left index finger :o Ouch!!) I have been trying to learn from what I would assume are the usual sources I.E youtube etc and lots of reading but I think I may learn better with someone showing me, so I have decided to ask for help.
Is there anyone out in the Mount Druitt / Penrith area that is willing to teach me ? Not looking for an apprenticeship just someone to help set me on the right track

I inherited a lot of tools from my Dad when he passed away sometime ago and I would really like to learn how to use them properly to eventually make something of value.
I have a Triton series 2000 workbench with the 235mm saw, a makita power plane, some uber sharp chisels lol , a makita grinder, a drop saw, 3 stanley hand planes , a Ryobi 1/2" router ( which I have made a functional if slightly wobbly router table for ) & a bucket load of other hand tools .

If there is anyone that could help a total noob ?

Keith_1
30th March 2016, 07:02 PM
Good Luck Mate - hope all goes well

Keith

Christos
4th April 2016, 03:39 PM
According to the Menshed website there is a Mens Shed in Penrith and some others in surrounding area.

It might be worth while taking a look to see what they have on offer.

One thing thou don't get discouraged. Things generally improve as you gain more experience.

Twisted Tenon
4th April 2016, 11:09 PM
Good on you for having a go coollamon. Lots of mistakes when starting out is a common thing. Your father would have accumulated his tools and knowledge over a many years and learned to use them accordingly. One thing that I have done is pay to attend some wood working courses a few years back. One at The Sturt school and one with Terry Gleeson. These types of courses are not the be all and end all, but can set you on the right path. You get to chat with like minded people and exchange ideas etc.

TT

AlexS
5th April 2016, 08:52 AM
Sturt & Terry Gleeson are both good. Terry is especially good if you are starting from scratch and he can take you to any level you wish.

coollamon
13th April 2016, 04:35 PM
Cheers for the replies everyone,
Looking to get down to The Men's shed and have a look & see whats happening down there.
I found there is a Men's Shed in Emerton but I am not sure if they do wood working there.
Do all Men's sheds do woodworking stuff or is it only selected ones?

Thanks again for all your help so far everyone, appreciate it :D

John