PDA

View Full Version : New "old" Teknatool TL 1000 8s lathe

Grahame Collins
30th March 2016, 03:31 PM
Hi,
I have just a acquired a TL1000 lathe as a gift.
It has no motor fitted so is obviously missing the accompanying stepped pulley that would be fitted to the motor.I am thinking about 1hp motor from the Hafco 3 day sale flyer.

As the drive spur is is rusted into the head stock end I have real reservations about hitting it too hard to drive out the spur and either/or damaging casting or bearings to remove it.The bearings are sealed and seem in good nick as does the flat ribbed drive belt. The lathe was bought new and never did a lot of work.The spindle thread is 1" 10 TPI which makes it a BSF thread.

The live center is also corroded into the tailstock barrel which I have been able to remove from the tailstock body.

The live centre end still wedged in the barrel is now emerged in penetrant to loosen it. The live center turns but is firmly rusted in the female morse taper socket.I understand that it is a NO#2 morse taper.

I have the lathe proper sitting on its end and have the hollow head stock spindle ( it is now almost vertical) filled with penetrant to loosen it.

Any advice on where to obtain spares and what else to do to get the lathe operational would be appreciated.Teknatool support was emailed twice but so far no reply from them.

Can anyone advise if a manual is available for purchase and also is the pulley still available?

If no spares, would a flat pulley turned from ply wood discs work. I only intend to use it for spindle work under 50mm.

Thanks in advance for anybody able to offer advice.

Grahame

Old Croc
30th March 2016, 08:08 PM
Hi Grahame,
Look up Col Dwyer over at the Mackay Woodturners, he should be able to help you sort it out. If it was me, I would find a 3 phase motor and fit a VSD, you will not regret it. By the time you try and buy a stepped pulley for it, your costs will be going up steeply.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Grahame Collins
30th March 2016, 09:47 PM
G'day Croccy

I don't intend to spend much on this lathe as I am not really into wood turning per se ,just using wood turning as a means to an end. The end being turning Ol' Timey looking tool handles for muzzle loading stuff I am making.

To date I have metal lathe turned out a a few file handles and fitted brass and copper ferrules and fiddled around with finishes to make them look nice. Its a bit fiddly but works well enough for for handles.

The guy who gave me the lathe seems to think the pulley I need may be in the back of his shed. Fingers crossed.

If I were to VSD a motor, it would be on something else maybe the metal lathe or the drill press. Nothing will happen until I free the stuck center in the tailstock barrel and then the spur. I am showing restraint in not beating the bejesuss out of the "drawbar" to punch out the spur as I am wary of braking the cast alloy in the headstock or buggering something else up. I will contact Col Dyer after I sorted the spur and the center.

Cheers
Grahame

Old Croc
30th March 2016, 10:21 PM
I am sure a man of your talent will find a way to support the spindle with a slotted piece of heavy steel. I would have thought, as its a taper, it should let go easily, but as mr murphy lurks around Mackay, I could be wrong.
Rgds,
Crocy.

powderpost
30th March 2016, 11:36 PM
Graham, I have a TL1000 poly "V" motor pulley, and a belt cover surplus to requirements. Let me know if the other pulley doesn't show up. THey are left over from when I sold those lathes.

Jim

twosheds
31st March 2016, 09:29 PM
Hi Grahame

I have sent a PM regarding the manual. I have an electronic copy saved.

Regards
Twosheds

Paul39
1st April 2016, 08:29 AM
Grahame,

I have posted the procedure I used to unstick rusted in Morse taper fittings several times in reply here.

Do a search, and if you can't find it, ask and I'll write it again.

Paul39
1st April 2016, 11:05 AM
Grahame,

I did a search and came up with my Woodfast adventure post. # 18 is the knocking apart post. Starting from the first post would give you the whole story.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/woodfast-410-a-123670/2

See also: (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/woodfast-410-a-123670/2)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/bought-lathe-gotta-203267/2

Grahame Collins
1st April 2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks Paul,

and thanks to all who have responded with offers of assistance.

Here is where I am up to until this afternoon.

This lathe has sat there with the spur and center in their respective locations for near 30 years my mate worked out.I have tried heating the front spindle and put ice on the spur and tried the large percussive instrument 4lb lump hammer but its as much as I dare to with out fracturing the alloy head stock. I have had success in the past with differential heating and cooling before but not this time.

If worst comes to worst I will remove the whole head stock from the frames and take it and the tailstock barrel to my mates place and introduce them to the hydraulic press.

When the original Morse tapers where fitted I expect these where airtight and don't foresee that the penetrant will wick down in there.

Meanwhile he has been in the shed and found the pulley this arvo and thinks he has the instructions somewhere. Also the nut and bolt man sent back a quote for the nuts for making backplates.
Being rare they are expensive as in $5.80 each plus $10 broken box fee and $15 for shipping being almost $95 to land a dozen nuts at my address. I am not complaining as I know it costs money to stock these things and they probably not big sellers.Prudence demands I wait until I am successful with the Morse taper removals.

Cheers
Grahame

Grahame Collins
3rd April 2016, 04:18 PM
Well wasn't I wrong!

The "airtight" morse taper spur drive succumbed this morning to a blow from the 4lb smackometer.So much so,that it was projected several feet across the car port floor. The Eds Red mix + oil of winter green (methyl salycitate) took a couple of days to work but it paid dividends in the end.

The live center I fear will be a different proposition as a "drive bar"dropped into the hollow end of the barrel spindle pulls up 70 mms or so short from the estimated end of the morse taper. Theres some sort of ejecting device in the tailstock,so I will have to read the manual - kindly sent to me by twosheds Thanks mate!. An even bigger bonus is that a old back plate I had made for a machine at school fits on the RH thread - yahoo!

Cheers

Grahame

Grahame Collins
3rd April 2016, 07:01 PM
More good news!

The live center is threaded on according to the manual- handy things to read. A small amount of effort ended up with the female thread in the center end unscrewed.It will allow for mounting a small drill chuck to be fitted when required.The threaded end according to the manual is 1/2" UNF.Did I say those manuals were handy things to read before attacking a tear down.?

Grahame

powderpost
4th April 2016, 09:46 PM
Graham, I am assuming your "backing plate" is a reference to a face plate. If this is correct, instead of making them from those expensive nuts, get a tap from McJing's the same as the nose thread (!" x 8 or 10tpi I can't remember), glue two pieces of 19mm thick pine together, like plywood, and tap a thread into it. I often do this to make a face plate to suit the job. Cheap and effective.

Jim

Grahame Collins
4th April 2016, 11:22 PM
Hi Jim,
Lets call it a senior moment on my part - of course its a bloody face plate.

You are correct.When I taught in high school prior to 2008 I made up some face plates for woodlathes at school. I remember buying the nuts locally and had the kids in metalwork class cut the discs and welded up a few.For what ever reason there were some spares that never got used.

I tried it and it screwed on once I got the spur drive off. The face plate spins way out of true so it looks like I need to cut it off and re set it up with an indicator.

So with a bit of careful repair I already have a face plate to use as it is a 1 x 10 tpi nut that was welded to it...Obviously the reason for the spare never used.

What remains is to remove the No#2 morse taper from the barrel spindle. The spindle is removed from the tailstock body by driving it out according to the manual and the morse taper is threaded 1/2" UNF. I already have a
spare key chuck with a 2 MT shank so I will.The live center unscrewed from it easily.The spindle barrel is soaking in the brew which worked well on the spur gear so I'll give it a few days immersion and up it with the heavy soft hammer.

No worries on a 1" x10 tpi tap the mate has one. I have to yet check out an old spa pump motor I have to see if I have a fit for the frame<shaft diam .HP rating and RPMS.

Gorm
20th October 2019, 07:55 AM
Hi there,
my name is Gorm, a woodturning newby.
Came across your old message re the manual.
I just got an old teknatool and would really like to have the manual.
Any chance that you send me an electronic copy, please ?

Regards
Gorm

Hi Grahame

I have sent a PM regarding the manual. I have an electronic copy saved.

Regards
Twosheds

twosheds
20th October 2019, 08:20 AM
Hi Gorm

If you search for 'Teknatools Manuals' in the Manuals forum in the Library Section you will find that they have been uploaded onto this website by Chrism3 and Mr Unknown. You can download them and print them out.

Regards
Twosheds

Edit: Just looked in the Manuals section. It is on the second page of the manuals section, halfway down, titled 'Teknatools Manuals'.