PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your wood from?

Allan at Wallan
31st March 2016, 11:12 AM
A very common question asked by beginners at our club is,
"Where do you get your wood from?"

Many are surprised when I tell them how easy it is by simply
having a look when travelling. Opportunities do exist.

The other day I was driving in the Yarra Valley, saw a Stringybark
tree, had a look around the base and took a stick home to make
a needle case with. I was quite pleased with the result.

Allan

BobL
31st March 2016, 01:15 PM
Branches are a great source of wood for small things. In our back yard we have Chinese Tallow, Native Frangipanis and a South African Wedding Tree and I have made pate knife handles out of fallen beaches of all three. A few years back a neighbour was chucking out a dead Tea tree and I grabbed the stump and milled it into boards and small turning blanks and was able to give them a set of salad servers made out of the wood.
Other tree branches I have made stuff out of are Cape Lilac, Geraldton Wax, Flowering Plum and may eucalyptus.

Kuffy
31st March 2016, 01:20 PM
This reminds me of how tempting it is to go walking through the forests, chainsaw in hand. But i know, i know. This sort of thing is frowned upon :)

Nubsnstubs
31st March 2016, 01:51 PM
Allan, the two pictures above reminded me of a page in a comic book I saw back when I was about 10 years old 59 years ago. It was Goofy, cutting a very large tree with an axe. In every succeeding frame, the pile of chips got larger and the tree got smaller. The last frame showed Goofy walking away picking his teeth with a tooth pick he made from the tree. That's what came to mind when I saw the needle case..... Nice case, btw.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Phily
10th April 2016, 12:17 AM
A few years back I had some "business" cards printed with "Wood Turner". Together with name and contact details. When I saw an arborist at work I'd stop and hand a card over with a promise of beer for wood. Most ignored but 3 occassionally give me a call. Sitting under sheets of black plastic (I like to say my solar kiln), I now have over a ton of Manchurian pear, probably even more Camphor L, a huge amount of Holly and quite a few odds and sods. 3 weeks ago I picked up half a ton of very nice oak from which I green turned a couple of bowls for the arborist - he was rapped. The next week he called for me to collect a good half ton of flowering cherry logs. I think the cards cost about $20. Not a bad investment!!

wheelinround
10th April 2016, 10:04 AM
Railway sleeps, floor boards, windows, but mainly from trees Alan they are those tall things providing shade and leaves you have to rake up.:q

Mobyturns
12th April 2016, 09:37 PM
I would have thought it was pretty obvious - a tree :rolleyes:

powderpost
12th April 2016, 10:39 PM
I would have thought it was pretty obvious - a tree :rolleyes:

Cheeky bugger........ :q

issatree
13th April 2016, 01:13 AM
Hi Alan & the Rest,
Can't help myself, when I see wood on the ground, but nothing over 120mm. Hand Saws make next to no noise, & also my beautiful little Hatchet, that trims all the small twigs off.
At this time, I'm making " 15 Walking Trek Staffs " on commission, as they are all sold, so all I have to do is to make them all by the end of April. Got about 8 done so far.
So wood collecting is on at the moment, for reasonably straight timber.
Have to be 52in. & 48in. for the Ladies. Mostly I've found so far are Elm Sucklings, all dry.
Disappointing a bit, as there is a bit of worm tracks in them, but the worms are gone.
Meant to say I'm finishing them with " Traditional Clear Wax " by UBeaut.
So that is my2senseworth.

Wigwood
23rd June 2016, 09:03 PM
G'day fellow woodies,

Hard rubbish has been a gold mine for me, I get some amazing wood from peoples "rubbish" older the better, they used use some pretty nice Aussie hardwoods for making furniture and I start rubbing my hands when I see really old houses with piles of "old stuff" at the front!

NeilS
26th June 2016, 08:13 PM
Getting enough turning wood is only an issue for the first few years of turning.

It doesn't take long before friends and neighbours start ringing you to let you know they have a tree coming down or already down. I never refuse an offer; what they are offering this time may not be of such interest, but if you remain interested the next one they offer may be very desirable.

A chainsaw, trailer or ute/pickup, and a wood fire are all required, IMO. The wood fire uses up all of the wood that was never going to be much good for wood turning, and it is provides cheap heating...:U

Phily
26th June 2016, 08:40 PM
100% agree with you Neil. Case in point just today: dropped in on friends to see their new house - they've been clearing the block and because I'd previously collected some (ordinary) timber off them they offered me several, beatiful, heavily spalted logs from "some sort of nut tree".

Whenever I get such timber I MW dry and turn a piece for them by way of thanks - always really appreciated.

Phily
27th June 2016, 06:01 PM
Couldn't help myself, I had to check out the timber I picked up yesterday. I still have no idea what the timber is - Yew? Any ideas? Cheers Phil

NeilS
27th June 2016, 08:03 PM
Sorry Phil, I can't help with identifying the wood.

In cases like this I describe the wood in a different ways; using terms like 'orchard wood' and 'churchyard pine'. Not surprisingly, buyers are just as positive about those descriptors as they are with rigorous botanical names such as "exocarpos cupressiformis"...:U

Allan at Wallan
27th June 2016, 09:17 PM
Just having another look at the responses and noticed your reference to "Manchurian pear".
A friend has been promising for the last two years to give me some as he will be cutting
the tree down. I have turned many woods but not this one.
Should I be looking foward to it as something special?

Phily
27th June 2016, 10:22 PM
You need to maintain a firm grip on your senses, especially when turning green Manchurian. It has such a smooth feel its almost erotic. Just a bit more, just a little bit more, please, just one more go...... I've made quite a few paper thin bowls because I just couldn't stop myself!!!
Some Manchrian is quite bland as a finished timber, other pieces have a milk chocholate mottle that can look attractive. But for me, its the pleasure of the turning that does it. Sublime 😀

Paul39
28th June 2016, 01:08 AM
Sorry Phil, I can't help with identifying the wood.

In cases like this I describe the wood in a different ways; using terms like 'orchard wood' and 'churchyard pine'. Not surprisingly, buyers are just as positive about those descriptors as they are with rigorous botanical names such as "exocarpos cupressiformis"...:U

Tis wood, as opposed to Taint wood. Fog wood, (found on ground). :D

Phily
1st July 2016, 03:56 PM
Turns out that the timber is Forrset Pansy. A new one for me! It has polished up like old bone - quite amazing. The friend who gave me the timber loved the bowl I made for them - he told his neighbour -who asked if I'd be interested in a large macadamian tree he is about to fell. Ummmm, let me think ...........��