PDA

View Full Version : Pepper grinder and red gum bowl

Zeeber
31st March 2016, 04:06 PM
Here's the pepper grinder I promised my partner for Xmas - finally got it finished. I bought it as Tassie Blackwood, but later thought it might be Sassafras because of the smell - anyone keen to venture an opinion?
It's about 45cm tall and the finish is french polish.
Here's a red gum bowl from a piece of wet wood that I cut in Dunkeld, South of the Grampians - wet turned, left to dry for a few months, and finished it with beeswax.
The size is approx 20cm across.

Then there's the forthcoming attraction:

smiife
31st March 2016, 08:34 PM
Hi zeeber,
Both look good, is the base of the grinder a bit small :?
Forthcoming attraction.......you are going to draw us
a pretty picture in colour:U

Zeeber
1st April 2016, 10:55 AM
The coloured pencils are all glued together... :)

Zeeber
1st April 2016, 10:56 AM
The base of the grinder looks small because of the angle of the photo - sorry.

Christos
6th April 2016, 10:29 AM
I think the bowl is quite impressive just something that is so appealing for me.

Just a question on the upcoming project and I am second guessing it a little that you will turn this on the lathe. Do you think CA would be strong enough for the forces involved on the lathe? My thinking would be to use either epoxy or regular wood glue and also sand off/back the colour where the glue is applied.

Zeeber
6th April 2016, 11:46 AM
Christos, I have turned the outside of the courwd pencil bowl and all pencils are still attached. It seems the CA glue worked well enough, but I have to add that I used a lot! When each row was finished, I pourwd more glue in the grooves, and it seems to have done the trick. I'm working on a way to hold the flat bottomed bowl on the chuck - a variation of a design I saw withe the bowl held between two pieces of mdf with holes in them and the two bolted together. Will post a pic when it's done.

Gary H
13th April 2016, 11:01 AM
C'mon Zeeber, hurry up ! The suspenders are killing me !
Can't wait for some colour in my life..:D

Zeeber
18th April 2016, 08:47 AM
Ok, Gary H - I'll put you out of your misery. Here are the pictures of the bowl - unfortunately the colours blend into the wood when sanding, so not the result I was hoping for:

Gary H
18th April 2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks, you've made my day ! Congratulations on a job well done. Now all I have to do is steal my grandkids' pencils without getting caught. Or maybe if I used coloured chalk I wouldn't have to sharpen the chisels. So what's the next project http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/icons/icon5.png

Gary

Zeeber
18th April 2016, 01:22 PM
Something like this but from red gum. I picked up a lot of gum fence posts, so now I can do lots of smaller diameter items like pepper mills, shakers and the like:

Christos
18th April 2016, 02:39 PM

That's quite an interesting piece. My guess it was hard to keep a nice clean cut when you hit the colour. Did you have to do a far amount of sanding?

Zeeber
19th April 2016, 09:00 AM
Strangely, no - it gives quite a clean cut, except where you go through a pencil to the other side. Best to keep the bottom flat so you don't have any long thin slivers of pencil ends. You can see it in the bottom of the bowl in the photo. I shouldn't have sanded it, but to remount now is just too difficult.

Ticky
21st April 2016, 11:25 PM
A friend of mine sent me a this picture and asked if I could make one. I doubt it, but it is a very cool idea I reckon.

Good job on your bowl.