PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the Wadkin club.

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 06:00 PM
Got a phone call out of the blue this arvo from the brother of the old lady I'm build some wrought-iron gates for.

Call goes a bit like this, intro I'm so and so do you want a wadkin table saw, I need to get it off my truck so I can pick the gates up.

Me: errors yeah but got no space to put one.
Him: it's free if you want it, consider it a bonus your doing such a great job on the gates.
Me: ok.

I just sold the Servian and it went minutes before, trying to make space for the Denbigh I'm picking up Thursday.

So for now the body will have to sit outside on a pallet so it's off the ground and covered with a tarp.

Looks like a wadkin-bursgren with a sliding table. need to do some research now.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/1175d32110f449e7749ec88c0392ec12.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/43aac2caf0d1fd883906ce5bfc7a49a2.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/9b41673e9cb8b3297e3b6fa5a1895207.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160404/60fede867b576a71c4ce467e45401f94.jpg

Apparently the old bloke who owned it is in his 80's and used to make furniture for the Queen, did all the the stuff for some fancy named place the Queen owns that meant nothing to me but sounds impressive.

wheelinround
4th April 2016, 06:19 PM
Dale what a score eh now if you could take over the contract to the Queen you'd be set for life. Although she is getting on a bit ...........maybe for the Princess.

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 06:30 PM
It has been suggested that the lady I'm doing the gates for may want an outdoor table made also. They also asked if I want to put a sign up with the gates, like the builders do etc for a few weeks to see if it gets me some more work.
Not the Queen but might be a bit of work coming in.

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 06:33 PM
Here is a link to the gates
https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetalworkforums.com%2Fshowthread.php?t=198807&share_tid=198807&share_fid=1074107&share_type=t
Entry Gates

clear out
4th April 2016, 07:45 PM
Good score, especially at the price.
It's a Wadkin Bursgreen BGP.
They are a compromise saw but very handy for a mix of work.
I worked at 2 uni teaching shops where that was the only table saw.
You can cut board as they have a 4 ft slide.
For solid stuff you can slide the inner bar up to the saw body so you can stand out of the line of fire.
Grease up the bars and machined tops if your storing it for long.
Even a coat of old engine oil though messy is easier than rust to remove.
H.

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 08:00 PM
He forgot to drop of the blade and badges, so I'll get them later. I'm hoping the riving knife, blade guard, and the mitres or quadrant might also be there. Otherwise I think it is complete.

I think I might put a good coat of lanotec on it the pump bottle not aerosols version. That should keep the rust at bay for now.

Can't complain about the price being too high.

Simplicity
4th April 2016, 09:20 PM
I hate you I'm jealous sorry

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 09:21 PM
Ahhh I know how you really feel Matt. You may hate Dave also after the tip off I gave him today.

Simplicity
4th April 2016, 09:24 PM
WHAT
I hope you both like scrapping the dinner pot at the saw class together with one broken spoon to share

Allison74
4th April 2016, 09:27 PM
That's a pretty unbeatable price.
So long as they don't want something else for free.

Those BGP's clean up well and seem quite popular with the UK ebay and I remember seeing them in shops I worked in Britain.

I hope you have plenty of space not just for a saw that size (at least it folds up a bit for regular use) but for all the other green machines that it will attract. They don't seem to like being alone in a shop.

Have fun,
Alli

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 10:15 PM
There is already one big green wolfenden bandsaw in the shed the Wadkin table saw top is sitting on its table. Next to the green Hyco scroll saw. there is also the 12" Crescent jointer which I might have to paint green so it doesn't feel like a grey outcast

hiroller
4th April 2016, 11:26 PM
Nice score Dale, you'll be giving Vann a run for his money soon!

DSEL74
4th April 2016, 11:57 PM
I'll swap this for his PK any day of the week.

Vann
5th April 2016, 07:12 AM
There is already one big green wolfenden bandsaw in the shed the Wadkin table saw top is sitting on its table. Next to the green Hyco scroll saw. there is also the 12" Crescent jointer which I might have to paint green so it doesn't feel like a grey outcastReal Wadkins are grey (~RAL 7011) :D.

Well done Dale, and what a fantastic price!

Cheers, Vann.

Allison74
5th April 2016, 09:50 AM
Real Wadkins are grey (~RAL 7011) :D.

Well done Dale, and what a fantastic price!

Cheers, Vann.

Wow!
Does that mean I got robbed?:D

Have fun,
Alli

DSEL74
5th April 2016, 10:08 AM
What is that first machine with x-y table overhead router, or drill? It's a lovely beast.

Allison74
5th April 2016, 10:25 AM
What is that first machine with x-y table overhead router, or drill? It's a lovely beast.

It's a pattern maker's mill, the smaller model WS. The "kindy" version of their range of pattern maker's mills.
Wadkin started out building mills, that was what made them different to all the other firms. Oliver in the US was the only other firm to produce them for years.

Have fun,
Alli

Vann
5th April 2016, 10:49 AM
Wow!
Does that mean I got robbed?:DNah, I think it means all of yours have been "re-liveried" in the later colour scheme, so as to look newer than they really are (the opposite effect to what us demented iron lovers want).

But don't panic - somewhere under that Bursgreen green you may well have some REAL grey Wadkins :D.

Nice machines BTW.

Cheers, Vann.

Allison74
5th April 2016, 11:01 AM
Nah, I think it means all of yours have been "re-liveried" in the later colour scheme, so as to look newer than they really are (the opposite effect to what us demented iron lovers want).

But don't panic - somewhere under that Bursgreen green you may well have some REAL grey Wadkins :D.

Nice machines BTW.

Cheers, Vann.

Original green. 1950 for both of them.
I have no idea where this fantasy comes from that all Wadkin machines were some glossy grey colour.

Grey is just for those who want a "pretty" machine.:D
Maybe it's a male thing like hot rods and sports cars.
I just want a machine to do it's job.
Though I'm happy to admit that the green is a terrible colour. I'll be painting mine a steel blue when I get time and after I move them into my new shop, but there are a lot of other things to do that are more important.

Have fun,
Alli

Vann
5th April 2016, 11:23 AM
I have no idea where this fantasy comes from that all Wadkin machines were some glossy grey colour.I'm sure you can buy grey in satin and matt as well :q

Grey is just for those who want a "pretty" machine.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif
Maybe it's a male thing like hot rods and sports cars.Painting old iron is more fun than actually using the machines - isn't it? Okay maybe it is a male thing. Then again, my wife prefers things clean and tidy - I bet I could get a nice shiney painted tool into the lounge with less complaint that a scruffy old hard working tool :;

Original green. 1950 for both of them.
Though I'm happy to admit that the green is a terrible colour.I like green (I'm a greenie at heart). But if a machine has been repainted in the past, and if I feel the need to repaint part or all of it, I'll try for the original colour. It's not important, but it makes me happy (there's that male thing again :doh:). If it's in original paint I'm more likely to leave it alone. It looks (from the poor photos) that my 1951 RTA woodlathe is in grey. I'm blowed if I know how Wadkin decided which machine would be what colour (in the early 1950s).

Cheers, Vann.

auscab
6th April 2016, 08:41 PM
Apparently the old bloke who owned it is in his 80's and used to make furniture for the Queen, did all the the stuff for some fancy named place the Queen owns that meant nothing to me but sounds impressive.

You Have Bill Jacksons saw there Dale , a fine cabinet maker indeed!! I went and checked his workshop out before his move a few weeks back and there were a few more things there for the same price . He's a real character . One of my favorite older guys in the trade to sit and listen to about his days working in England and here. He can talk! And he's enthusiasm for a life spent at his workbench is just incredible. There are articles that have been written about him Ive seen before.Possibly in the Aussie Wood Review I think ? He did work for top people here and around the world. Parliament house here as well. A nice bloke, very traditional with his woodwork from years of hand work on Antiques .

Nice Saw too , the ability to cut standard sheet size is handy .
I wonder if it does the 4' it must be able to support the 8' length with its sliding table ?

Rob

clear out
6th April 2016, 10:21 PM
Nice Saw too , the ability to cut standard sheet size is handy .
I wonder if it does the 4' it must be able to support the 8' length with its sliding table ?

Rob[/QUOTE]

I remember back in the 1970s we were using one of these saws and had a sheet of 32mm muck (MDF) on the slide and on pulling it back all the way the saw started to tilt backwards.
It was not bolted down, which we promptly did.
H.

DSEL74
7th April 2016, 08:37 PM
Rob, I should try and contact him and see if the riving knife, blade guard and mitre are still around.
The guy who gave me the saw knows your Dad.

auscab
8th April 2016, 01:22 AM
Rob, I should try and contact him and see if the riving knife, blade guard and mitre are still around.

They closed the door for the last time this morning and as far as I know are now in Tassie. They sorted and went through all their gear so I would guess if it had been there it would have been sent . I may be checking in to pick up something that was left with the guy next door so I will ask any way.

The guy who gave me the saw knows your Dad.

Did He , yep Ive met quite a few of them. One of the lucky ones :)