PDA

View Full Version : Skylights

Flyboy
16th August 2005, 12:40 PM
G'day

Just wondering if anyone can recommend some skylights for our new house. Nothing fancy, just the fixed, non-opening type, roughly 1200x600. They're to go in a raked ceiling with a colourbond roof.

The best I've been able to do is around $350 for some 540x980 Skydome Skywindows. We have to put 8 of them in, so would like to know if we can save a few hundred dollars for something that does the same job.

Thanks

Barry_White
16th August 2005, 01:23 PM
If you want to do it yourself Abbey make them and you can usually can get them from Bunnings or any plumbing supplies like Tradelink.

David L
16th August 2005, 05:13 PM
Skylights are a great idea for letting in natural light, however don't forget the also let in a lot of heat in summer so I would be wary of going too big,{ 1200x600? } unles you are prepaired to hang shade cloth underneath.

David

Jacksin
16th August 2005, 08:17 PM
I agree with David L.

I have 2 600x600 skylights and during our hot Adelaide summers I stuff several thicknesses of newspaper above the diffuser to stop the heat. It doesnt look too pretty but it saves me clambering over the roof with shadecloth and bricks to cover the skylight-dome.
Jack

helga
17th August 2005, 09:28 AM
My outlaws have two round ones that are great for natural light in hallways but they leak when it rains. I'm not sure why yet.take care, I guess is what I'm saying.
helga

Flyboy
17th August 2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Totally agree about the problem with heat. To cut a long story short, I don't know why the architect put so many skylights in, and admittedly I've also overlooked this fact when I checked the plans. Originally the council were saying if I wanted to reduce the number of skylights I'd have to resubmit plans, more delays etc etc. so I was going to cop it on the chin and get on with it. However, spoke to someone today with a bit of common sense we can now do what we want (have 2 skylights). Problem solved:)

Cheers