PDA

View Full Version : Router Adapter Plates for Leigh Jig

Jim Grant
9th April 2016, 12:26 PM
I have a Triton TRA001 router which I intended to use for dovetail cutting on my Leigh Jig. However, the Triton will only accept the 1/4in and 1/2in cutters. I tried to get round this by purchasing the Triton set of adapter plates and the 1/2in cutters which are designed for the Leigh Jig from Trent in the UK. This combination is just too bulky and clumsy for smaller dovetails.
I wrote to Triton asking if there was a 3/8in collet available for the TRA001 but got no reply.
In the past I was using a Ryobi ERT2100 router which did have a 3/8in collet but had to make up an adapter plate to hold the Leigh guide bush. This was less than satisfactory as it was a home made job.
Questions please:
1. Is it possible to find a 3/8in collet for the Triton TRA001?
2. If not, is it possible to find an adapter plate to hold the Leigh guide bush that will fit the Ryobi ERT210?
Any advice would be most welcome.

woodPixel
9th April 2016, 01:49 PM
Buy the 3/8" MuscleChuck Assembly Collet: Quick Change Router Chuck (http://www.musclechuck.com/shop.html)

Lappa
9th April 2016, 09:55 PM
They do an 8mm but not a 3/8"
http://www.toolsparesonline.com/images/diagrams/Toolsparesonline.com%20Triton%20Router%20Collets.pdf

Carbitool do a 1/4" Leigh dovetail bit.

lesmeyer
10th April 2016, 12:13 PM
Not sure why you would need a 3/8' collet as all the cutters used for the leigh jig (I know there are some exceptions but why use the exceptions) are either 1/4", 8mm or 1/2". Lee Valley sell many of the 8mm cutters and the collet for this can be purchased from the link supplied by Lappa. The 8mm cutters will provide much less chatter than the 1/4" which can be used as well.
Les

aldav
10th April 2016, 07:46 PM
If your Triton router is already fitted with a 1/2" collet assembly can you just buy a 'normal' 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer rather than having to get the 8mm 'collet assembly'? Just wondering because of the price of the assembly.

Cheers,
David

malb
10th April 2016, 11:03 PM
If your Triton router is already fitted with a 1/2" collet assembly can you just buy a 'normal' 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer rather than having to get the 8mm 'collet assembly'? Just wondering because of the price of the assembly.

Cheers,
David

Leigh actually include an 8mm reducer with the jigs that use 8mm shank bits, so if you are buying a jig that needs it, it comes with the jig.

Jim Grant
11th April 2016, 08:30 AM
Thanks Les,
The 3/8in is the same as the 8mm and I had not been able to find a 3/8in collet for the Triton Router. With the info from Lappa I will buy one from Tool Spares on Line.
Jim

Jim Grant
11th April 2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have the Leigh Jig but it certainly did not come with an 8mm reducing collet. I think I have found a solution with the information provided by Lappa.
many thanks guys.

lesmeyer
11th April 2016, 11:00 AM
Jim what was confusing to me is that you equated 3/8" with 8mm. It is actually 9.525mm and the 8mm cutters will not hold in a 3/8" collet or collet reducer for that matter.
Les

aldav
11th April 2016, 12:42 PM
Hi Jim, I notice you are in Albury. If all you need is an ordinary 1/2" to 8mm collet reducer send me a PM and we can arrange to meet and I'll give you one.

Cheers,
David

malb
11th April 2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks Les,
The 3/8in is the same as the 8mm and I had not been able to find a 3/8in collet for the Triton Router. With the info from Lappa I will buy one from Tool Spares on Line.
Jim

As Les said a couple of posts below the one I am quoting, 3/8 in nominally 9.53mm, not 8mm. 8mm is very close to 5/16. What bits are you trying to mount, genuine Leigh bits come with 8mm shanks, or a mix of 8mm and 1/2in for the D4 series jigs and some of the others.

3/8 is a very odd size shank generally only available in Industrial CNC solid carbide bits. The industrial CNC machines generally use chucks that accept a range of industry standard ER collets or similar where there is a lot of collet sizes available, and individual collets do have a range of sizes that the will securely grasp.

It is courting disaster to mix imperial collets and metric bit shanks (or vice versa) with general routers because the collets supplied suit only a fixed size shank, and 0.1mm either way is inviting the bit to jamb in the collet, not enter the collet, or work loose in the collet due to inadequate grip, regardless of how much effort you put into tightening the collet.

Lappa
11th April 2016, 08:58 PM
My Makita 3620 came with a 3/8" collet adaptor for router bits with a 3/8" shank. They were available but expensive when I first got the router. Still available in limited sizes.

Jim Grant
13th April 2016, 12:11 PM
Hi Les,
Sometimes I even confuse myself. I took all the parts and measured them with a micrometre and they are indeed 8mm and not 3/8in. I also checked the Leigh user guide and that confirms that the cutters supplied are 8mm.
Many thanks for the help.
Jim