PDA

View Full Version : Surf and Turf

Dalboy
14th April 2016, 02:00 AM
Not to sure about the name but anyway here is the latest piece I have been making.

Well at last managed to get something off the lathe after two that exploded and then this one having three attempts at colouring, I finally ended up with something I liked.
The wood I believe is holly and quite plain and it stands 7" tall and 3" at the widest.

The first picture was one of the first failed turning

Treecycle
14th April 2016, 02:00 PM
Great work there Derek, they look superb. Is it two different coloured paints or is it that type that changes colour depending on which angle you look at it?

Christos
14th April 2016, 05:06 PM
Nice segmented piece in the first photo. :innocent:

The vase that you coloured was this from a spray can. The reason I am asking is, I acquired some spray cans from a friend and one of the colours after spraying gives this effect once dried.

artme
14th April 2016, 06:31 PM
There is something about iridescent colour that gets the eye every time!! Nice work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Dalboy
14th April 2016, 08:07 PM
Thank you all

For those that it may interest Here is how I did it

The only spray cans involved are the ebonising spray and the gloss finish

The finish is so simple on this the vase is stained black(I used a black spray Ebonising Lacquer), I then applied Jo Sonja Iridescent paints using a paper towel all creased up and dabbed the pint on in the green in two diagonal stripes until I had the desired effect.
When applying the second colour I started in the centre of the unpainted section between the green and worked out to the first without applying any more of the paint to the paper towel so that it became thinner at the join between the two once dry a couple of coats of spray gloss varnish with a gentle rub over to remove any high spots then a final coat of varnish after cutting the foot off as this leaves the bottom showing clean wood this allows people to see the base material that it is turned from.

Hope that is easy to follow

The one that parted company from the lathe was completed in respects of the turning and I was giving it a light sand on the inside when a corner of the paper lifted off the stick I was using and because it was only 1/8" thick did not take much to explode.

turnerted
15th April 2016, 04:50 PM
Looks great Derek.
Ted

dr4g0nfly
17th April 2016, 02:25 AM
Derick,

bad luck on the vase with holes in it, sometimes you win, sometimes...

Love the vase with the Jo Sonja paints. Saw you used paper towel, I find that absorbs too much of the paint, try a scrunched up plastic bag, carries the paint without soaking it up.

crowie
17th April 2016, 05:14 PM
Yes Derek, Must agree, they do look very good sir...well done, cheers, Peter

Dalboy
17th April 2016, 08:12 PM
Thank you guys.

Derick,

bad luck on the vase with holes in it, sometimes you win, sometimes...

Love the vase with the Jo Sonja paints. Saw you used paper towel, I find that absorbs too much of the paint, try a scrunched up plastic bag, carries the paint without soaking it up.

Paper towel is great as it is easier to blend with plastic it hold the paint to much when doing the edges. I also use the blue workshop paper towelling which is not so absorbent as the likes of kitchen paper towels

Hope that make sense

Keith_1
21st April 2016, 05:41 PM
Derek,

They look beautiful. Fantastic job mate

Regards

Keith