PDA

View Full Version : New Nova modular tool rest

QuarkVI
15th April 2016, 06:03 PM
Hi,

has anyone managed to take a closer look at the new Nova modular tool rest?

NOVA FACEPLATES (http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathe_accessories/Toolrests/modular_rests.htm)

Apparently stainless steel rod on top of cast iron but interested in the total height esp of the smaller one and whether you can wrap your hand around it to support smaller spindles. Was planning to get one of the Sorby Modular rests before I saw this. Both quite a bit cheaper than the Robust tool rests which I was lusting after.

cheers
Robin

dr4g0nfly
17th April 2016, 02:27 AM
I have a Sorby system, but the straight rests are just round bar, I'll be looking out for these to arrive here in the UK, far better design of rest.

RoyG
17th April 2016, 10:48 AM
I also have some of the Sorby modular tool rests, but as noted above, the Sorby ones do not have the stainless steel edge on them. My Sorby modular tools rests were part of a package of tools that came with my used lathe when I bought it, and I haven't found them to be much use.

What I find to be wrong with the Sorby modular tool rests, and looking at Nova's photos on the web site, I think that the new Nova Modular Tool Rests would have the same problem, and that is that it can be difficult to screw the tool rest onto the tool rest shank tight enough that the tool rest does not start to come undone ( and move) during use. If these modular tool rests had a mechanism that securely locked the tool rest onto the tool rest shank, instead of just a screw thread, then they might be more useful.

Additionally, I can't see the point in modular tool rests where one tool rest is shared across multiple tool rest shanks. When you change tool rests, or when you change tools, you also need to change the height of the tool rest, so why not just use single piece tool rests ?

There is no cost saving in using the modular tool rests. I think that these modular tool rests are a marketing ploy by the manufacturers. By making modular tool rests, the manufacturers can sell multiple sizes of tool rest shanks to suit many different sorts of lathes, whilst only making a single range of tool rests.

I'll stick with single piece tool rests.

Regards,

RoyG

hughie
17th April 2016, 11:02 AM
I also have some of the Sorby modular tool rests, but as noted above, the Sorby ones do not have the stainless steel edge on them. My Sorby modular tools rests were part of a package of tools that came with my used lathe when I bought it, and I haven't found them to be much use.

What I find to be wrong with the Sorby modular tool rests, and looking at Nova's photos on the web site, I think that the new Nova Modular Tool Rests would have the same problem, and that is that it can be difficult to screw the tool rest onto the tool rest shank tight enough that the tool rest does not start to come undone ( and move) during use. If these modular tool rests had a mechanism that securely locked the tool rest onto the tool rest shank, instead of just a screw thread, then they might be more useful.

Additionally, I can't see the point in modular tool rests where one tool rest is shared across multiple tool rest shanks. When you change tool rests, or when you change tools, you also need to change the height of the tool rest, so why not just use single piece tool rests ?

There is no cost saving in using the modular tool rests. I think that these modular tool rests are a marketing ploy by the manufacturers. By making modular tool rests, the manufacturers can sell multiple sizes of tool rest shanks to suit many different sorts of lathes, whilst only making a single range of tool rests.

I'll stick with single piece tool rests.

Regards,

RoyG

I did wonder about those issues myself. Thought I would keep it to myself just in case it was just me.

Ironwood
17th April 2016, 11:35 AM
I did wonder about those issues myself. Thought I would keep it to myself just in case it was just me.
I was thinking if they had some way of locking the thread as well, apparently not.
It would become an issue if you had your tool out on the RHS of the rest and you got a catch, the toolrest would spin straight into the workpiece.

Mobyturns
17th April 2016, 09:01 PM
I was thinking if they had some way of locking the thread as well, apparently not.
It would become an issue if you had your tool out on the RHS of the rest and you got a catch, the toolrest would spin straight into the workpiece.

I have the same reservations about using them for bowl gouge tool rests andin some applications as spindle rests. Working on one side of the tool post and getting a catch would tighten the post onto the thread; the opposite side , would loosen the thread.

I own a Sorby modular tool rest which I only use with the box scraper platform (L768) for some cuts that I make. In my application the scraper is aligned along the box scraper platform and not across it so the potential hazard of the tool rest loosening is avoided. I also use the original Vermec post and platform which used a similar tool post design. The newer design has an aluminum plate and set screw.

QuarkVI
18th April 2016, 06:12 AM
Thanks gents - you raise a very good point that I hadn't considered.

An option might be to spot weld/epoxy/loctite the rest in place - as it still works out cheaper than then the older nova tool rest and appears to be a better shape.. The one apparent advantage of the sorby is that the bar is apparently hardened.

Paul39
26th April 2016, 02:26 AM
My first thought was that working out at the end of the 12 inch rest, a lot of force is being put on the threads and skinny threaded part. If that were to snap off and the rest get mixed up with your turning, things could get messy.

The concerns of coming unscrewed are also valid.

I do 90% bowls and like the V shaped bracing where the rest joins the post on one piece tool rests.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mBWXAAsOQ4HfUYQNRHmX5rw.jpg