PDA

View Full Version : Tips for preparing manuka/kanuka for turning

QuarkVI
18th April 2016, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Managed to get hold of some manuka/kanuka (not sure how to differentiate timber - believe kanuka is called burgan in Aus) from a mate's fire pile.

Absolutely beautiful timber and not too bad to turn despite its density and hardness BUT I have yet to find a piece that isn't cracked like crazy or makes even more cracks as I hollow (assume stress release). Been trying to make some small boxes and out of a box of firewood I have yet to find a piece that isn't too cracked ... some of the cracks seem to be pre cutting as there is a seam of bark right into the pith. And they aren't fine cracks either (which I don't mind).

So has anyone got tips on how I can harvest the timber to get something to turn? Do I have to try and get wide enough diameters so that I split out a wedge from the round and go that way? It would be a pity to only use it for finials.

cheers
Robin

Christos
21st April 2016, 03:35 PM
I cannot comment on the species of wood.

In regards to the cracks in the timber I have had a few in a couple of old logs that were just cut and left as a log before i got hold of them. What I ended up doing was cut along the crack or using an axe as a wedge split the log. From there I could decide what I could make from it. Worst one I had was something that had quite a few cracks(I think 5) I ended up with a lot of pen blanks. :~ :whatonearth:

Moving away from the worst case, you might be able to cut and glue up a few pieces to make a bowl blank. To add a bit of contrast you can always add a different piece of wood between them, this also saves you from trying to match the grain.

Something I have set up but not got to turning as yet. I had a bit of left over timber that had a crack in the middle. I was epoxying something else and had some left over epoxy, so I dyed it black and poured the remaining epoxy in the hole, after sealing one end of the hole. This is a small piece and just about a 15cm block so not sure how I will will turn it.

Stewie D
22nd April 2016, 08:50 AM
I can't help with the Kanuka but I remember Manuka well from when I did my apprenticeship in Hamilton, NZ way back in the late '70's. As the trees max out at a relativley short 8m high or so the timber doesn't get real big across the trunk so its value as a building timber is limited. It has a nice colour though and I remember fitting out a house with Manuka architraves - nothing more than 3m if I recall correctly. With a clear stain over it, the grain really shone. A lot of it was regarded as just being second grade and useable as rough sawn timber like bearers funnily enough but only for short lengths as a lot of it was prone to cracking and twisting. I remember it being used for chisel handles and spade handles etc as well. Getting it while it is green just after being cut down and then painting the ends to stop quick drying and splitting would go a long way to avoiding cracks I reckon.

Stewie