26th April 2016, 10:07 PM
Hi guys,
I think this guy is lucky to be alive:o

Acco
26th April 2016, 10:58 PM
https://youtu.be/30zO31Xwud8

Jeff Leslie
26th April 2016, 11:11 PM
The YouTube video reminds me of a certain fellow.......

Nubsnstubs
27th April 2016, 01:25 AM
I don't want to be disagreeable and start a fight, but I see nothing wrong what and how this person approached the job with the tools he had to work with. My only thoughts on a hazard was the way he held the tool at the beginning with his thumb sticking out about as far as his tool end. A face shield could have been used also, but he was wearing glasses.

Most turners in first world nations have all the modern tools at our disposal. Since we can purchase the large items this guy was turning, there is no need for garage turners to make what he turned. We elect to just turn small items that can and do jump over the tool rest. We have to duck or get hit. If what he was turning got loose from the centers, it would immediately drop to the ways and do nothing but cause him to have to recenter and keep on going. The only danger comes from some of the people making comments they know nothing about.

In 1982, my first job I did on a lathe was a stave table base, 11 X 30. I made up a tool rest similar to what this guy used. It workerd great, but I didn't need it after, so It got lost in the black hole in my shop.

I had never lost a piece between centers until just recently while turning pieces with bark still attached. If it's over 12" od, it'll usually drop to the ways. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Mobyturns
27th April 2016, 07:24 AM
This video is doing the rounds again :rolleyes:

A face shield isn't going to protect him if the blank (log) goes walkabout but it would help save his eyes from the constant stream of debris. There are lots of short comings in his shop / shed setup, technique, the preparation of and the blank itself, but he got through with what he had and I guess he lives to tell the tale of "'s big lathe" type stories. ( no slight intended to btw )

Managing hazards and risk is about minimizing risk with what you have at hand to complete the task. Perhaps that was the best available to him!

Not many of us have the ideal setup and I know from visiting a few mates sheds that housekeeping isn't high on the agenda, so its a bit like casting stones and living in glass houses. :U Same goes for "safe working practices" there are many definitions of "safe". I know I have cringed many times while watching others work, and later when I have sat down and discussed those issues with mates etc they seem to be comfortable that what they are doing is "safe."

I have seen and heard of way to many injuries from wood turning / working that happened when a "safe" task went wrong. I also respect the confidence of many in the wood turning community who will privately admit to making "a stupid mistake" "as long as you don't share it around." :q

smiife
27th April 2016, 09:02 PM
https://youtu.be/30zO31Xwud8

Hi acco, thank you for fixing that up , I didn, t really know how to do It !
I have no further comment to make !!

Paul39
28th April 2016, 03:58 AM
That is most interesting. The tool rest seems to be a rail from a mine. The lathe looks to be made from salvaged beams. I think I caught a glimpse of rail car wheels in the speed reduction set up. I am always fascinated by people with very little resources making workable machines.

With the exception of the roughing, the turner is pretty good with the chisels, which appear to be ground from scrap steel. Having his left thumb past the tool rest makes me anxious. If that log came out of the lathe, bye bye thumb. If it came over the tool rest the thumb would be the least of his worries.

I'm thinking Mexico or a little south for the location from the look of the timber and the turner.

Glenn.Visca
28th April 2016, 10:10 AM
Am disappointed he didn't part off ... Choosing to wind out the tail stock instead. Where is the sense of adventure ! [emoji3]