PDA

View Full Version : any problems???

Mono
17th August 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm just starting to get into woodturning again since I left school some 19 years ago.I am looking at a couple of lathes to choose from.
Vicmarc 175
Jet 1642
DVR3000
Has any one had any problems with any of these Lathes??
Cheers

arose62
17th August 2005, 10:03 PM
DVR3000 - about $2,500 too expensive ;)

Cheers,
Andrew

Ozartisan
17th August 2005, 10:26 PM
DVR3000 is my pride & joy!
Soooooooo smooth and to feel it power up more as you cut is great!
I can highly recommend it as a good all-round versatile lathe.
Wouldn't knock back a big Vicmark for big bowl work tho!
Where are you in Sydney? - happy to let you try the DVR
PM me for details
(No... I am not a Nova agent!!!

La truciolara
18th August 2005, 07:31 AM
Hi All,

I'm just starting to get into woodturning again since I left school some 19 years ago.I am looking at a couple of lathes to choose from.
Vicmarc 175
Jet 1642
DVR3000
Has any one had any problems with any of these Lathes??
Cheers

Vicamarc 175 would definitely be my choice. I have equipped my woodturning centre with several of these. As compared to the Jet 1642 - very good too - you have to remember that you have the twisting head while on the Jet you don't therefore in addition to the lathe you have to buy the tripod for the external tool rest. That make a drastic change in overal cost.
And if you are in Australia, go for Vicmarc (do you realise it is what I buy and I am in Italy ??? !!!) :)

TimberNut
19th August 2005, 05:38 PM
Mono,

I left school in '89 and have recently just purchased my second lathe after some years away from the wood tools.

Don't have much experience with the other brands, but i just bought a Vicmarc VL300ESVX and am absolutely chuffed !!!

The 175 was a little small for me, but build-wise would be along the same lines as the VL300. You won't go wrong with a Vicmarc (and no, I'm not a Vicmarc agent either :-))