PDA

View Full Version : Vermec Router Holder

Kidbee
28th April 2016, 10:56 AM
Heading up to the Maleny Wood Expo on Saturday where I understand Vermec will be in attendance. Has anyone used the Vermec Router Holder on their lathe? From what I can see it would be only capable of doing an arc due to how it is mounted. Searched the 'net for some information about it but found nothing.

pommyphil
28th April 2016, 01:12 PM
Nice bit of kit, well made and probably good value if you have lots of work for it

I made a wooden one in less than one hour that did the job I wanted. Phil.

Kidbee
28th April 2016, 01:24 PM
Nice bit of kit, well made and probably good value if you have lots of work for it

I made a wooden one in less than one hour that did the job I wanted. Phil.
Could you post a photo of your homemade one?

pommyphil
28th April 2016, 03:46 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/juicer-193664?highlight=juicer

Post #6 has a couple of pics,

Kidbee
28th April 2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks Phil. Like the Vermec one, yours only cuts in an arc also?

pommyphil
28th April 2016, 05:12 PM
No, mine slid along a timber guide screwed to a Vermec camlock table.

pommyphil
30th April 2016, 10:22 AM
Here's a better photo.

I made this for straight cuts. To follow curves you would make a base like the Vermec.377990

oreos40
30th April 2016, 10:31 AM
It is possible to us it for any shape if you incorporate a stylus follower of the same shape as the router tip directly beneath and a template that this follows rides under the base of the jig. kind of a high tech low budget copy lathe.

Kidbee
11th May 2016, 10:12 PM
Attached are some photos I sourced showing what projects others have done with a Router Table and Holder etc.

I also invested in an indexing attachment that Vermec makes and it arrived in the post today with the other gear. The indexing caters for 24, 36, 48, 72, 96 and 144 index points. As usual it is all high quality equipment.

powderpost
12th May 2016, 12:01 PM
Kidbee, a few years back, I made a wooden router holder to run some flutes on some table legs. I laminated some 19mm ply for the body and fixed that to a base. The router I had then was round bodied and fitted into the top. It was held by a radiator clamp. You can see the stylus that ran on the job, just under the router bit allowed the router to follow any shape accurately. There was a flat sheet of 19mm ply fixed to the lathe bed for the router and stand to run on. For straight or tapered cuts I removed the stylus and tacked a strip onto the ply "bed". I used this quite a few times until the router died and I could not find a replacement router.

The stylus is a 6mm vertical steel bar fitted to a 12mm bar that was held to the stand with a wing stud and was adjustable. The stand had a tapped thread to hold the wing stud. The bar through the stand had a 6mm thread in the end with a grub screw to hold the vertical rod to allow for adjustment.

Jim