PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Moulder - I think I want to cry

Vann
3rd May 2016, 08:15 PM
This Wadkin EPA sold today - for a measly $76.00 :o

378474 378473 378472 378475

Wadkin 1 1/4" Spindle Moulder | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1075965666)

And I didn't even bid :C

Cheers, Vann.

AJOE123
3rd May 2016, 09:08 PM
Vann
You need to elevate to Defcon 4.
More vigilance is required!
Cheers
Tony

hiroller
3rd May 2016, 09:42 PM
Look on the bright side. You got the test number (sort of), you don't have to sneak it past SWMBO, you don't have to add it to the project restore list and you don't have to find somewhere to put it in your already cramped workspace. A win all round. :q:q

L.S.Barker1970
3rd May 2016, 09:44 PM
Well that's cool !
I know a bloke who picked up a Wadkin EQ for $150 !!
I hope he chimes in with some pic's !

Melbourne Matty.

clear out
3rd May 2016, 11:50 PM
Well that's cool !
I hope he chimes in with some pic's !

Melbourne Matty.

I was watching that one Matty,it was about 1/2 hour from home.
Hope he got the Frommia power feed wot didn't sell at an earlier auction from the same seller.
H.

Vann
4th May 2016, 12:50 AM
Look on the bright side. You got the test number (sort of), you don't have to sneak it past SWMBO, you don't have to add it to the project restore list and you don't have to find somewhere to put it in your already cramped workspace.:U
All of the above - and: I didn't know what tooling, if any, came with it; I don't have to pay to have it shipped 650km; and the one time I ever used a spindle moulder, it scared the bejesus out of me :C

I hope he chimes in with some pic's !One unique thing about this forum, is the OP can see who's read a thread. If you're talking about who I think you're talking about :;, he hasn't read this thread yet.

Cheers, Vann.

bueller
4th May 2016, 02:28 AM
Wow what a steal. Reminds me of the Tough lathe I missed out on a couple of weeks back for $100. Saw it posted on Gumtree, called the guy 10 minutes after he posted it but he'd just gotten off the phone with someone who was gonna take it. All I've seen since then are overpriced, missing parts or both.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

clear out
4th May 2016, 07:59 AM
Mate of mine tried to sell a tough lathe a few years back in the ACT.
He couldn't get anyone to buy it and finally scrapped it or gave it away.
It was an ok lathe.
I pinched the cast legs off one last year and gave the rest away.
They don't seem that popular here on the east coast.
H.

auscab
4th May 2016, 11:58 AM
I was watching that one Matty,it was about 1/2 hour from home.
Hope he got the Frommia power feed wot didn't sell at an earlier auction from the same seller.
H.

Yeah, I got an EQ in Original paint $150 . probably thanks to the Sydney Wadkin Crew being so busy lately . Bit of a poor description by the seller as well .
I got the power feed as well Henry .
All being picked up soon
$180 delivery to a Melbourne depot !! What a price :)

Rob

bueller
4th May 2016, 01:07 PM
Mate of mine tried to sell a tough lathe a few years back in the ACT.
He couldn't get anyone to buy it and finally scrapped it or gave it away.
It was an ok lathe.
I pinched the cast legs off one last year and gave the rest away.
They don't seem that popular here on the east coast.
H.

Yeah I'm kind of fascinated by them as they were made in WA not far from where I live, want to get a Tough Lathe and Drill Press to add to my collection some day.

Vann
4th May 2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I got an EQ in Original paint $150 . probably thanks to the Sydney Wadkin Crew being so busy lately.
Well I got that wrong :B. I thought maybe Camo had got down on it.

Nice one Rob. Pictures please (when you get it).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
4th May 2016, 02:16 PM
Speaking of Camo not getting Wadkins, these two have just been listed over here.

378504 Wadkin radial arm saw | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/saws-blades/auction-1080663516.htm)

I know a CK saw is well up on Camo's wish list. $200 worthless NZ dollars each Camo... Camo...

Cheers, Vann.

Allison74
4th May 2016, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I got an EQ in Original paint $150 . probably thanks to the Sydney Wadkin Crew being so busy lately . Bit of a poor description by the seller as well .
I got the power feed as well Henry .
All being picked up soon
$180 delivery to a Melbourne depot !! What a price :)

Rob

Hi Rob, A great deal!
I looked at that one and was tempted to bid, but I'm trying to be good, I don't need another spindle moulder.
If I could sit on my hands and let that big belt sander slip by then an extra spindle wasn't too hard.

Hey Vann,
You've got to bid to have a chance:D

Looks like it was in reasonable condition and at that price you are going to have nightmares for a while but it will settle over time, a few years or so!DAMHIK

Have fun,
Alli

camoz
4th May 2016, 06:58 PM
I had seen it, but knew Rob was bidding, I already have a Wadkin EQ (4 speed), so not something I really needed, I was going to take it to $200, before I knew someone else would be bidding (no point bidding someone else up, so I sat on my hands). It really had a poor listing, just goes to show how a bad title, description and photo's can effect an auction outcome).

Rob that freight is really cheap!!

Speaking of Camo not getting Wadkins, these two have just been listed over here.

378504 Wadkin radial arm saw | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/saws-blades/auction-1080663516.htm)

I know a CK saw is well up on Camo's wish list. $200 worthless NZ dollars each Camo... Camo...

Cheers, Vann.

Oh Vann,

Your killing me:D. Sounds great, until you consider freight, I don't think they will float:rolleyes:.

Cheers,

Camo

jgforsberg
4th May 2016, 11:09 PM
I've always had an affection for the EP . I had made my conclusions that I wanted one simply based on its historical placement in the wadkin range. Being one of the first electric drive machines has always fascinated me . Obviously the EQ is the EP's predecessor And a much better machine . EP bearings are self aligning Machine bronze cage bearings typical of most early English kit. The EQ on the other hand uses ABEC 5 /7 deep grooved Percision bearings with finalic cages. lubrication is done with wicks and oil mist A proven development for high-speed . Although the EQ is a smart looking machine the EP is far more attractive and blends better with the yearly lines of the PK and JY patternmaking sculpture . Of course none of these things really matter when working in the shop yet I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have something pretty when we're up at the top splitting hairs .

L.S.Barker1970
8th May 2016, 01:05 PM
I've always had an affection for the EP . I had made my conclusions that I wanted one simply based on its historical placement in the wadkin range. Being one of the first electric drive machines has always fascinated me . Obviously the EQ is the EP's predecessor And a much better machine . EP bearings are self aligning Machine bronze cage bearings typical of most early English kit. The EQ on the other hand uses ABEC 5 /7 deep grooved Percision bearings with finalic cages. lubrication is done with wicks and oil mist A proven development for high-speed . Although the EQ is a smart looking machine the EP is far more attractive and blends better with the yearly lines of the PK and JY patternmaking sculpture . Of course none of these things really matter when working in the shop yet I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have something pretty when we're up at the top splitting hairs .

Jack, its interesting to look at the evolution of the Wadkin spindle molders over the years through the internet pic's and catalogs.
Firstly the flat belt driven EV model, very basic, big long pedestal base, nice and simple machine.
Then the EVF had the first built in motor with in the EV design. F standing for frequency charger.
The ERH was the next build in motor model, robust and more solid than the EV this machine was probably the EQ in the making or at least where Wadkin were heading.
Later of course the EP, many more features than the EV and ER, back to belt driven with the motor slung of the back as apposed to the direct drive set up.
Speed choices, breaking on the spindle etc..
And last the EQ, probably the best Wadkin put together, the base alone weighed 270 kilos, a great shaper to work on !

Melbourne Matty.

auscab
24th May 2016, 10:13 PM
Sorry, not the best of Pictures . I don't know where my camera is right now . Not in my car like I thought though .
I went and picked up the EQ today , The $150 ebay deal . The guy who sold it gave it to the carriers with 1.5 to 2 inches of MDF dust stacked in every possible place . Its a wonder the carriers didn't complain .
It was in the open air when I took it on my trailer over the west gate bridge back to work. The people down below may have thought a comet was coming across the bridge :D.
seems in ok condition though . I still need to have a close look . The fences and power feed are in a box on the other side.

Rob

Vann
31st May 2016, 08:25 AM
This BIG Oliver Machinery Company (UK) buzzer sold two days ago - for just $48.00 (and that's NZ dollars :o)

381613 381614 381615 381616

It even came with a power feeder

Oliver Buzzer Straightener | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1090456705)

And again I didn't even bid :no:.

Cheers, Vann.

auscab
31st May 2016, 08:58 AM
Cheap! Strange looking buzzer . Is it one of those powered edge jointers? Like a buzzer but just for jointing the edges of boards . Matty pointed a Lacey made one of these at a machinery place a few years back. And we saw another on au ebay a while before that.

Vann
31st May 2016, 03:48 PM
Is it one of those powered edge jointers? Like a buzzer but just for jointing the edges of boards .Yeah I'm not sure what's going on there. I'd assumed it is a modified buzzer (and could be converted back with new knives) - but I don't know.

Cheers, Vann.