PDA

View Full Version : what design software to use?

randlalfnasalfn
3rd May 2016, 11:23 PM
Hi

Currently building an ox for timber routing. Have decided to use linuxcnc to control it.

What are the better options for design software? I am relatively proficient with sketchup, and the boss has good photoshop/gimp type skills. We are looking into what software we need (preferably free) to get us from product idea to gcode? The ideas we are making are a bit too artistic to make in sketchup.

idea -> hand sketch -> ??? -> ??? -> gcode -> cnc

Thanks

Dave

Breezy
5th May 2016, 03:00 PM
What OS are you willing to use. Autodesk Fusion 360 is "free" to small businesses. It is a CAD/CAM program that produces the required gcode.

Regards, Arie.

pippin88
5th May 2016, 08:43 PM
Fusion 360 is the best free CAD/CAM.

Vectric products are great for cnc routers.

randlalfnasalfn
5th May 2016, 08:54 PM
ahhh, did not realise fusion was free (for 1 year), thanks!!

I am open to ubuntu and windows OS

Breezy
5th May 2016, 10:06 PM
ahhh, did not realise fusion was free (for 1 year), thanks!!

I am open to ubuntu and windows OS

One thing I forgot to mention that Fusion 360 is total different to use than Sketchup, but once you get the hang of it, it's very powerful. I have only been using Fusion for a couple of months after years of Sketchup, I still hit the wrong shortcut keys. :no: Spend the time to go through all the tutorials several times it is worth it. The help system is good, it might take several tries to get the wording correct to find the solution you are looking for.

The reason for the OS question was that you mentioned Linux, I wasn't sure if you would use Windows.

pippin88
10th May 2016, 04:57 PM
Fusion is free (or at least was) for anyone turning over less than $100,000 a year.

Ger21
12th May 2016, 04:45 AM
The ideas we are making are a bit too artistic to make in sketchup.

Are you talking about 2D carvings, or 3D models?

randlalfnasalfn
12th May 2016, 11:37 PM
hmmm, bit of both. I expect to be able to import an image into sketchup to do say a 2d carving.

imr700x
19th June 2016, 01:37 PM
Inkscape is free and can do that and export as dxf for generating gcode . It has many other features such as converting raster images into vectors and creating 2D image files from photo's

DavidG
7th August 2016, 06:08 PM
Artcam Express for 2D and 3D library pix and for making the cutting files for Mach 3.

Mach 3 for cutting

Turbocad for very exact detailed 2d design. DXF to Artcam

"Autodesk Fusion 360" and "123D Design" for 3D.