PDA

View Full Version : Left Handed Bandsaws

Vann
7th May 2016, 02:25 PM
I thought I'd post a few Lefties that I've come across recently.

This showed up on Trademe yesterday. I've no idea what brand.

378800 Ugly :oo:

But underneath all that plywood there looks to be a classic piece of old cast iron.

378801 378802

There's even a suitably antique motor under there too.

378803 'Brook', so made in UK.

According to the seller, it's 3 phase with a 3 hp motor; 36" wheels; 34" throat; 14" max. cutting height. Height 2500mm, with a 1750 x 800 footprint.

The price is okay, and it's only 20km away. If I didn't already have a big bandsaw, I'd be in.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
7th May 2016, 02:47 PM
Then there's this left-handed J Ransome bandsaw I spotted in my travels in the South Island last November (I thought I'd already posted it here - but I've searched and can't find it. Forgive me if I've doubled-up).

378804 378806 378807

378808 Maker's badge.

This is located at the Ferrymead Museum in Christchurch. It came from the Addington Railway Workshops (which were closed in late 1990). According to an old tradesman from the Addington Workshops, it was one of 8 large bandsaws at the workshops, and one of 3 left-handers.
The 8 saws were located as follows:
One in the Woodwagon Shop joinery;
Two in No.1 Car Shop, one operated Left Hand and one Right Handed;
Two in No.2 Car Shop joinery - one LH, one RH;
Two in the Woodmill - one LH, one RH;
One in the Railcar Shop (ex Woodwagon Shop).

Cheers, Vann.

hiroller
7th May 2016, 04:05 PM
It's funny because I've always felt that most bandsaws are back-to-front.
As a right-hander, I would usually push with my right hand and guide with my left.
Using a standard bandsaw is the other way around.

Nice finds, especially the descriptions of left handed machines in the shop.
I wonder if these were just for left-handed staff, or if they used them fro specific cuts that were easier from one side only?

BobL
7th May 2016, 09:26 PM
As a right-hander, I would usually push with my right hand and guide with my left.
Using a standard bandsaw is the other way around.

The Mitre slide on my 19" is on the RHS so I've learned to push with my right hand.

Vann
7th May 2016, 10:06 PM

I wonder if these were just for left-handed staff, or if they used them fro specific cuts that were easier from one side only?I believe they made for versatility, not for left-handed tradesmen. I guess when working with wide pieces, some cuts are easier from one side (as you suggested).

Finally, this much smaller bandsaw.

I don't know anything about this one other than it was for sale earlier this year and the seller said:
"Cast iron structure
Solid bed approx 550mm x 550mm
Electric motor by Brook Motors
3-phase
1800mm high x 1110mm long x 660mm wide"

Cheers, Vann.

L.S.Barker1970
8th May 2016, 12:13 PM
This showed up on Trademe yesterday. I've no idea what brand.

According to the seller, it's 3 phase with a 3 hp motor; 36" wheels; 34" throat; 14" max. cutting height. Height 2500mm, with a 1750 x 800 footprint.

The price is okay, and it's only 20km away. If I didn't already have a big bandsaw, I'd be in.

Cheers, Vann.

Ok Vann, you've got me curious about this saw.
I would really like to know what make it is !!
In the pic above I see a badge to the right on the frame.
I think I'm fascinated with the wheels on that one and the Ransome.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/matty355/matty355002/ransome349_zps77tmue52.jpg
Melbourne Matty.

jgforsberg
8th May 2016, 11:53 PM
All the resaws are left handed. I think the idea is for both to be run by right handed people. resaws with fences have frames on the right and feed like table saws. curvy band saws need the saw frame on the left as the left hand guilds and the right hand feeds. this is simply how one holds the works for cutting curves and a frame on the right would be in the way. Ships saws frames are on the left too proving that for fence and curve work the saws frame need be on the right and left respectively. Of course there are always exception.

Vann
9th May 2016, 08:27 AM
Ok Vann, you've got me curious about this saw.
I would really like to know what make it is !!
In the pic above I see a badge to the right on the frame.With your curiousity in mind (and mine), I've asked the seller for more information.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann
9th May 2016, 10:20 PM
In the pic above I see a badge to the right on the frame.The seller reports the badge says "Brodie and McMillan, Farish St. Wellington, NZ" most likely the agent. No visible makers name.

Cheers, Vann.