After impatiently following a slow-moving truck for several Kms on
a hilly two-lane road, we decided to stop in the next town for lunch
and let the truck get far ahead.

We had a leisurely meal, and then pulled back onto the road. Just
ahead of us was another vehicle pulling out from a different
restaurant. It was the same truck.

rrich
11th May 2016, 03:44 PM
When I was younger we were driving south down California route 1. (Some places it is called PCH or Pacific Coast Highway.) We were in the 'Big Sur' region of California, between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. The car was a 1974 Mazda RX4 station wagon (precursor to todays crossovers) with a 4 speed transmission. Even with the camping gear in the back, two boys in the rear seat and SWMBO riding shotgun it was probably one of the best handling vehicles of the day for the common man. It was mid week and we were heading home from our camping vacation.

Before the trip I had installed some really good radial tyres which only enhanced the handling qualities. PCH in the Big Sur area is a two lane winding road that can be a lot of fun to drive. PCH is winding and similar to the road from Kahului to Hana on the north side of Maui. While PCH is always at least 2 lane, the road to Hana has several one lane bridges. Without an obstruction it is possible to average a bit over 45 MPH or 72 KPH over this section of PCH.

I'm close to averaging the 45 MPH when I catch up to a bunch of star gazers doing barely 25 MPH. Even it was double yellow line, when I could see enough to pass I did so. A couple of Ks down the road, SWMBO says, "Oh look. Let's stop." Of course the star gazers drive by some minutes later. The passing and the "Oh look. . . . " was repeated 3 or 4 more times. I finally caught up to the star gazers again and just as the "Oh look." started the star gazers also turned in also.

While our families are in the tourist trap the driver of the star gazers starts up a conversation. The driver says that if he gets into the rhythm of the road and is really enjoying himself his wife hits him with anything at hand telling him to slow down.
We were both laughing.

As we left the tourist trap, I managed to get on the road first. After a WONDERFUL 8 or 10 miles, SWMBO is white knuckled and hits me saying, "Are you having fun?" to which I answered, "Immensely!"

Tonyz
12th May 2016, 10:21 AM
Anyone who has travelled the Haast Pass in NZ ?

Did it Many years ago with me cobbers, standing admiring view at one place, tourist bus pulls in,
mad scramble as everybody piles out with their 35mm cameras (no phone cameras in those days) snap snap snap,
back into bus and off they go.
We hop in Kombi and shortly pass same bus,
now repeat above episode 2 times
Then we decide (as only idiot teenagers do) to have some fun.
We let bus get well ahead and knowing where they would stop next we then come flying in, hit brakes, all leap out madly take pretend photos and off in kombi again.
Up the road we hide and let bus pass us....
now repeat this 3 times before bus driver manouvers his bus and blocks our planned exit.
Comes up to us with grin on his fat gob, "dont play funny games with me you little s***s, I know what your doing, try it once more and I'll run you off the road".
Ugly old git.