PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Concrete Collaboration CNC Build

CNCChris
15th May 2016, 06:40 PM
Hi Everybody.
Ive been experimenting with Polymer Concrete and I am ready to get into the making of the actual machine.

I am wanting to have precision forms made up so when I pour my mix and pop it out of the form I am left with a Base and gantry that has been made to with in a tolerance of hopefully .01mm or better.

I am just putting this out there to see if anyone else would like to join in on this build and hopefully we could make a few machines at the same time.

If your interested just post here or if anyone wants to give me a call I am inaustralia just PM me and I will give you my mobile number.

I have attached a few pics.

The machine has a work area of 500x300x240mm XYZ and castings alone will weight around 160kg Total footprint is 700mm wide 600mm Deep. I have drawn this up in fusion 360 so if you want a copy of the model just let me know and I can send you a link.

Chris

pippin88
15th May 2016, 11:22 PM
Chris,

I've long toyed with the idea of a polymer concrete (aka epoxy granite) lathe and mill.

I won't be able to join you in the project but will watch with interest.

What is your goal? Wood? Aluminium? Steel?
What will the work table be made of?
What epoxy are you going to use?
What aggregate / mix?
What inserts will you use? My vague designs feature cast in cast iron bars that would be machined / scraped for rail mounting.

I think your Z axis looks a bit flimsy compared to the rest.
Also, consider diagonal bracing on the outside of the frame.

CNCChris
16th May 2016, 10:30 AM
Hi Pippin88

What is your goal? Wood? Aluminium? Steel?
I assume you mean milling capability, I know this wont do steel, But I am looking for an aluminium machine. Ive already got a 4x8 cnc router

What will the work table be made of?
Steel

What epoxy are you going to use?
My current test blocks have been west systems epoxy

What aggregate / mix?
Ive been using agregates in various sizes as well as other things in the mix

What inserts will you use? My vague designs feature cast in cast iron bars that would be machined / scraped for rail mounting.
I will be getting mild steel square bar and having the top milled flat for the linear rails to sit on.

The Zaxis is 37mm thick and also has 2* 20 series linear rails bolted to it so I am hoping that it is strong enough.

Chris