PDA

View Full Version : How long does your home brew last?

red_budgie
17th May 2016, 05:52 PM
... and I don't mean how long before you drink it all :), I mean how long before it starts to taste 'off'... ??

I've found that the alcoholic ginger beer for me lasts longest (I had a bottle that was 2 years old and tasted exactly the same as it did at the beginning), but the beers are a bit hit and miss. Generally up to a year for me tastes OK, with the lager type beers lasting a bit longer that other types - so I can notice the difference in my Coopers Pale Ale after 9 months or so, but by a year and a half it's not drinkable at all.

I'm in Queensland though and I don't store all my beer in a fridge as I only have a small bar fridge and it doesn't all fit at once, so for long periods of time my beer just sits in a back bedroom which is the coolest room in the house.

Foo
27th May 2016, 02:27 PM
Six months is pretty much the time for bottled beer. Spirits is, many years. :2tsup:

Foo

scrapwood
27th May 2016, 03:30 PM
My homebrew lasts a long time it must be pushing 4 years old by now. I had a mate tell me that my homebrew is the best homebrew he has ever tasted, and I said to him then you must have tasted some terrible homebrews as I cannot drink mine it is that terrible, hence its longevity. I do occassionally open the odd bottle and pour the contents into put in a snail and slug trap in the garden. If by some chance they were stolen I would only mourning the deposit on the bottles (10c each in SA).

But to me the taste is still the same from day one to year four, and I have tried different water, different bottling times, it is temperature controlled, and have tried different varieties but to me all tastes the same, gross.

red_budgie
2nd June 2016, 11:45 AM
My homebrew lasts a long time it must be pushing 4 years old by now. I had a mate tell me that my homebrew is the best homebrew he has ever tasted, and I said to him then you must have tasted some terrible homebrews as I cannot drink mine it is that terrible, hence its longevity. I do occassionally open the odd bottle and pour the contents into put in a snail and slug trap in the garden. If by some chance they were stolen I would only mourning the deposit on the bottles (10c each in SA).

But to me the taste is still the same from day one to year four, and I have tried different water, different bottling times, it is temperature controlled, and have tried different varieties but to me all tastes the same, gross.

:roflmao:I had a Coopers Draught kit that I brewed that sounds like that. I was determined not to throw it out (hate wastage) and every now and again plucked up enough courage to force one down. Those damn 60 bottles seemed like 200, I never seemed to drink the last of the stuff and years later I was still finding them at the back of the storage cupboard .

pictureman
5th September 2016, 04:12 PM
I've had one of those and every time I have one, it reminds me never to buy that brew again. lol

Billy Bignutz
28th December 2016, 06:15 AM
62 brews and only thrown away one. Nearly always keg mine now and do 50 litre batches now which lasts 3-9 months depending on how many on tap and if my son in law visits. My oldest bottle that is like nectar for special occasions is a barley wine about 5 years old.