PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 'Do-Over' Saw

pmcgee
21st May 2016, 12:55 AM
Bob Page posted these photos online of a saw he took the back off of for cleaning.

Toothed under the back.

Interesting to consider why. :)

Paul

380720 380722 380721

shedbound
21st May 2016, 01:01 AM
would I be safe to assume that it is not the original saw plate?

rob streeper
21st May 2016, 03:16 AM
Looks like somebody put a blade from a Disston No. 14 or the like on the saw.380723

Bushmiller
21st May 2016, 01:31 PM
I would agree with Rob except that the teeth look to be the same pitch both sides, although it is a little difficult to tell from the pix. Very strange.

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
21st May 2016, 09:09 PM
The saw holes
are not the neatest.
Is that a hint is it a home made plate ???

orraloon
22nd May 2016, 01:39 PM
I agree it looks like some one gave it a makeover in the past. It would save the work of filing off the old teeth.
Regards
John

Bushmiller
22nd May 2016, 03:58 PM
I was looking at the saw again. Just to state the obvious.

1. The teeth appear to be the same on both edges: Not even one filed crosscut and the other rip.
2. The handle has only been in one position even if the holes are a touch ragged (possibly just from removing the back).
3. The back was removed, possibly frequently, to enable the top teeth to be used.

My conjecture is that it was used for a specific purpose of undercutting a joint. I think a shopfitter or cabinet maker might need to do this when installing cupboards. He probably did not want to use the saw turned upside down as that would have been very uncomfortable if it was a frequently occuring job.

Regards
Paul

Christos
24th May 2016, 08:58 AM
How about this for a theory.

The apprentice that cut the teeth(top of saw) made a mistake and the supervisor told him no worries use the other side. :U