PDA

View Full Version : A good pickup

turnerted
21st May 2016, 05:45 PM
G'day
This morning I was out doing my usual dogwalking when I noticed a dump bin down a street a bit off my usual rout that I thought I had better investigate . No wood in it, but next to it was a pile of camelia . I have only ever got a small amount of this previously and it is a joy to turn . I think it is probably as good as cotonyaster , a dense timber with a tight straight grain and takes a beautifull thread .I estimate there would be about 200Kg in this lot and up to about 150mm diam. ,a lot of potential boxes in this haul. I spent the rest of the day cutting it up and endgrain sealing .
Ted

BlackbuttWA
22nd May 2016, 12:49 PM
Great pick-up Ted.
People forget about large garden shrubs etc for timber.

Col

Christos
23rd May 2016, 12:28 PM
Great score.

pampelmuse
23rd May 2016, 06:01 PM
Speaking of cotoneater Ted, have you made large threads with this species or just threaded box lids? The reason I ask is that I intended to make a bench leg vice thread (2 inches diam) with a log of the stuff. I put away a few logs about 4 years ago, so pretty dry by now. I though it would suit the purpose if I ever get around tuit...... I concur with the tight grain you mentioned. I planed some small pieces and was fascinated by the smooth finish. So different to most native hardwoods I have experience with.

turnerted
24th May 2016, 05:13 PM
pampelmus
I am sure it would be just as good for large threads as small.
Ted