PDA

View Full Version : lidded olive bowl

turnerted
22nd May 2016, 10:53 PM
G'day
Here's a little lidded bowl , or is it a box? that I made from a highly figured bit of olive . As you can see, there were many stress cracks that required filling . It is about 150mm diam. x 150mm high over all and the finish is DO. Comments welcome.
Ted

Christos
23rd May 2016, 12:45 PM
Lovely piece. How much did you undercut under the lip?

turnerted
23rd May 2016, 04:55 PM
Christos About 2/3 of the way to the rim.
Ted

Bluegum
23rd May 2016, 07:45 PM
Looks great Ted.. Really nice finish as well.:2tsup:

smiife
23rd May 2016, 08:29 PM
Hi ted ,
I like the box/bowl, shape and finish!.....
You have asked for comments so hope i
don, t offend if i say , not sure about the finial/lid
Is it in 2 pieces ? ! is it the same timber ?
Love the olive timber , great figure and colour:2tsup:

Dalboy
23rd May 2016, 08:37 PM
A nice box the olive wood has some great grain but like above the lid I feel could have been either in a piece of olive of the same figuring or a more of a contrast to the base.
You appear to have managed to get a nice finish on it.

turnerted
23rd May 2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the comments . The lid and finial are in two pieces and I would have liked them to be more similar to the bowl . Although they are from the same tree , they are of lighter and not such spectacular grain.
Ted

powderpost
24th May 2016, 12:57 AM
Ted, not a bad job, in fact I like it. :2tsup: I have made similar "bowls",to get a matching lid, I used a small parting tool at an angle of about 60 degrees and cut a piece out of the top of the blank. Similar to a bowl saving technique. My mother used this idea to make butterfly cup cakes. Hope that makes sense for you.

Jim

turnerted
24th May 2016, 01:10 PM
That sounds like a good idea Jim.I might try that if I get another chance.
Ted

StevoWoodi
24th May 2016, 01:27 PM
Hi there, nice job on the bowl. What do you use to fill the cracks? I generally use 2 part epoxy but always interested in alternatives.
Thanks,
Steve

turnerted
24th May 2016, 05:09 PM
Steve
I use builders bog with polyester pigment added . You can turn it after about 15 minutes.
Ted

Paul39
25th May 2016, 02:59 AM
Steve
I use builders bog with polyester pigment added . You can turn it after about 15 minutes.
Ted

Does builders bog have a more formal name? Please translate for this unenlightened Yankee.

Very nice piece.

turnerted
25th May 2016, 11:19 AM
Paul
Not sure what you call it in US .Builders bog is the general term for several brands sold here . I suggest you look on the shelves for something described as a polyester filler for filling cracks etc.
Maybe one of our other US members can come up with a name that is use there.
Ted

Christos
25th May 2016, 06:00 PM
...... I suggest you look on the shelves for something described as a polyester filler for filling cracks etc.....

I have not used Builders Bog on my wood working projects but have used one brand known as Bondcrete on the house to repair large holes. The Bondcrete is a two part system where a hardener is added, similar to what you would do when mixing epoxy. Where Bondcrete has a much higher viscosity than epoxy.

I mention Bondcrete as an example but there are other brands of Bog and they all sit on the same shelf in the hardware store.

So if you were in Australia and went to a hardware store and asked the sales assistance where to locate builders bog they will take you to the Bog shelf. :U

artme
25th May 2016, 06:13 PM
Like that a lot Ted!!! very well turned and finished!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Was the length of the finial restricted by the wood you had?

Paul39
26th May 2016, 02:05 AM
Paul
Not sure what you call it in US .Builders bog is the general term for several brands sold here . I suggest you look on the shelves for something described as a polyester filler for filling cracks etc.
Maybe one of our other US members can come up with a name that is use there.
Ted

I found this: http://www.chemspec.co.nz/pdf/Builders%20bog%20-%20direction%20of%20use.pdf

AHH, Bondo:

Bondo® Wood Filler, quart, 20082 (http://bondo.com/bondo-wood-filler-20082.html#roxwtqGMrc3Pg1fH.97)

Bondo was first an auto body filler for dents, then expanded to other things.

I have used it for many years, making darkroom sinks, repairing rotted window sills, etc., etc.

turnerted
26th May 2016, 04:56 PM
artme
There were no limitations on the length of the finial,thats just what looked right to me.Actually after making it ,I think the finial is a fraction too long.
Bondo looks to pretty much what we would call builders bog .
Ted