PDA

View Full Version : Timber mold/rot

hurcorh
29th May 2016, 05:13 PM
Hi all. Would like people's opinions on how to remove bits of mold from timber without effecting it? There is a portion of mold on a slab I have i'd like to get rid of before getting to work on the slab. Will just sanding it off suffice? Or should some chemicals be used? Ill probably epoxy fill the rot area. Or might not even use it. Pictures below

Thanks,

hurcorh

FenceFurniture
29th May 2016, 05:21 PM
I think I'd be inclined to dry scrub it with a nylon brush and then use some diluted bleach (not so strong as to affect the colour), again with the nylon brush. Others may know of a solvent (e.g. white spirits) which will also kill it without the possibility of affecting the colour. Rinse the bleach off with a hose immediately.

John.G
30th May 2016, 08:36 AM
Theres an off the shelf product called Bora-care. Off which shelf in Australia I dont know but I'm sure if you google it something will bob up.
If you cant find it you can make it... its a propylene glycol based solution with borates disolved into it. I've got the recipe somewhere but it takes a lot to type out fill directions so if you need it ask and ill get around to it.
Propylene glycol by itself is also a good mould and fungal killer, but doesnt have the residual effect of the mixed brew. Propylene glycol is commonly sold as antifreeze, but be aware the ethylene glycol is also sold as antifreeze and that they arent the same so check the label. But a good paint with antifreeze concentrate will do the job for ya.

Another option is mineral turpentine. dry scrub it then paint that on. being a hydrocarbon it will penetrate relatively well and also evaporate off reasonably fast. LOSP timber treatment is (or can be) turpentine based... its not as effective as the propylene glycol/borate mixture but its easier to come by.

Maybe even metho... not much survives in the face of straight alcohol.

hurcorh
30th May 2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks both for the response, much appreciated. I'll give the dry scrub and bit of mineral turps a go, as that is what I have on hand, and then go from there if that doesn't work.

Cheers

Lyle
30th May 2016, 01:21 PM
If you dry scrub first, remember the respirator. Fungi/mould can cause allergic reactions.

dai sensei
30th May 2016, 07:57 PM
Looks like your typical rot around an old branch stub. I'd kill any fungus by applying any of your antifungal solutions (or powders used to make solution) at you local hardware/nursery. After drying, hit it with some wood hardner from your hardware or soaking with thin CA to harden it. The colour is what it is. Alternatively dig it all out and replace with a casting resin tinted to suit or clear.