PDA

View Full Version : Threaded fitting for shaftless crushgrinds?

rtyuiop
31st May 2016, 03:53 PM
Hi folks,

I have a few short-ish grinder blanks sitting around, so I've been thinking about doing some up using the little shaftless crushgrind mechanisms.

I'm thinking I can maybe class them up by gluing in some threaded brass fittings for the join between the body and the plug (to close off the reservoir for salt/pepper/whatever), but I'm struggling to find the right bits and pieces. I'm thinking a short section of threaded rod to be glued into the centre of the plug, and what would basically be a nut but round on the outside glued into the top of the hole in the body. It'll have to be a wide diameter to allow reloading the spice, 20mm ID or so.

I can't find any fittings which are immediately right for the female part of this (a nut rounded on the outside, or to put it another way, a short length of pipe threaded on the inside) - it might just be because I don't know the right word!

Anyone have any ideas, or should I just work on the principle of drilling an oversize hole, and using epoxy to glue in a nut and fill in around the flat sides of it?

Cheers,

Danny

Acco
31st May 2016, 05:23 PM
Sounds like you're looking for either knurled nut or a nut insert

rtyuiop
31st May 2016, 06:36 PM
Perfect! Thanks DJ. That's the term I needed, can search around now.

smiife
31st May 2016, 08:49 PM
You could try threading the timber , top and bottom

rtyuiop
1st June 2016, 08:34 AM
I was thinking about it, but I feel like it might restrict my options for timber a little - for instance I have some california redwood sitting around which I think would make an interesting grinder if I can keep the thin bits around the side thick enough, but I think there's no way it'll take a thread!

brendan stemp
1st June 2016, 05:24 PM
This is my version of the shaftless grinder but with a salt shaker at top.381700381701
I used a tenon with cotton thread wrapped around it. Wax helps it slide in its hole nicely.

rtyuiop
1st June 2016, 06:14 PM
So far not having any luck finding a big enough knurled nut or threaded insert. Think I'll just try a threaded rod and a hex nut glued in with epoxy, see how ugly it looks. If all else fails I can put a veneer over the top of most of the nut, can even do it in the same glue up as putting the nut in!

rtyuiop
1st June 2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks Brendan! I feel like that might need more accuracy than I can manage, unless I am having a really good day at the lathe. Will think about it some more...