PDA

View Full Version : Palo Verde spalted worm eaten footed bowl

Nubsnstubs
2nd June 2016, 09:21 AM
381755381754 Here is a Palo Verde footed bowl I did about 3 months ago, and just lacquered it a couple days ago. It's 10 OD and 4 1/2" tall with 5/16" thick wall. The foot is also hollowed and it's wall thickness is 1/4" thick. thanks for looking.

Oh, it also has a couple pieces of Olive wood and some brass key filings added to close up a huge cavity............. Jerry (in Tucson)

BobR
2nd June 2016, 12:37 PM
I like it Jerry. Love spalting.

Christos
2nd June 2016, 03:44 PM
I would not have noticed the differences in wood if you hadn't pointed them out.

Is this easy to turn?

turnerted
2nd June 2016, 04:41 PM
Lovely looking bowl Jerry . At first glance I thought it was an olive bowl.
Ted

artful bodger
2nd June 2016, 10:04 PM
Interesting looking timber.
A bit saskwatch in the design department for my liking but there is no accounting for taste
Nice job.

flyinlee
3rd June 2016, 10:38 AM
Nice turn, Jerry.

smiife
3rd June 2016, 08:23 PM
Interesting looking timber.
A bit saskwatch in the design department for my liking but there is no accounting for taste
Nice job.

I had to look that word up!:B
For others dumb like me, sasquatch means "bigfoot"
Looks like a nice bowl, don, t much like the "sasquatch "

Nubsnstubs
4th June 2016, 12:21 AM
I had to look that word up!:B
For others dumb like me, sasquatch means "bigfoot"
Looks like a nice bowl, don, t much like the "sasquatch "

Yep, when I saw Sasquatch, I thought he was talking about a certain political figure's wife.......... An, I said to musef, "it ain't dat ugly". hahaha

Anyway, when you have wood this pretty which is rare for a native Arizona species, my thought was to leave as much as possible to showcase the wood. I also know where bodger is coming from on his statement as I read comments about how people do not like feet on bowls that they are looking at.

I do not like deep bowls. The wood I use is fairly small, usually under 11' OD and about 4" thick. When I get a piece that is larger than that, without having a "Dictator" on hand, I'll go with a shallower bowl and incorporate a foot.

Recently, a friend loaned me his "Dictator', and now my bowls are taking on shapes I really don't care for.....

Also, since I'm the inventor of the Tail Stock Steady, I'm able to get into the inside of the foot and do a whole lot of different things to decorate the hollowed out portion of the foot. It's held securely in between centers while removing and hollowing it out.

Sometimes I'll call one of the footed bowls a "ChiprDip" bowl. The bowl could be used for Chips, or the bowl turned up could be used for a Dip of your choice........ hehehe

So Lee, I see they allowed you to become a member. hehheeh It's a good site, but sometimes the language is hard to get a grasp on, but the people here are helpful. Good folks.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

smiife
4th June 2016, 08:59 PM
Yes when I saw Sasquatch, I thought he was talking about a certain political figure's wife.......... An, I said to musef, "it ain't dat ugly". hahaha

Anyway, when you have wood this pretty which is rare for a native Arizona species, my thought was to leave as much as possible to showcase the wood. I also know where bodger is coming from on his statement as I read comments about how people do not like feet on bowls that they are looking at.

I do not like deep bowls. The wood I use is fairly small, usually under 11' OD and about 4" thick. When I get a piece that is larger than that, without having a "Dictator" on hand, I'll go with a shallower bowl and incorporate a foot.

Recently, a friend loaned me his "Dictator', and now my bowls are taking on shapes I really don't care for.....

Also, since I'm the inventor of the Tail Stock Steady, I'm able to get into the inside of the foot and do a whole lot of different things to decorate the hollowed out portion of the foot. It's held securely in between centers while removing and hollowing it out.

Sometimes I'll call one of the footed bowls a "ChiprDip" bowl. The bowl could be used for Chips, or the bowl turned up could be used for a Dip of your choice........ hehehe

So Lee, I see they allowed you to become a member. hehheeh It's a good site, but sometimes the language is hard to get a grasp on, but the people here are helpful. Good folks.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi jerry,
Good to see you can take some criticism , :2tsup:
I think you should make what ever you want to,
what ever you feel the wood Is telling you,!
I am interested in your " tail stock steady"....?
and we do have a strange way of expressing ourselves
It, s just an aussie way, and no one means any harm,:no:
most of the time!,,¡!.......:U:U

Nubsnstubs
5th June 2016, 12:42 AM
Hi jerry,
Good to see you can take some criticism , :2tsup:
I think you should make what ever you want to,
what ever you feel the wood Is telling you,!
I am interested in your " tail stock steady"....?
and we do have a strange way of expressing ourselves
It, s just an aussie way, and no one means any harm,:no:
most of the time!,,¡!.......:U:U

Smife, click on the link below. It's actually a thread I posted back in January called "Tail Stock Steady". There are a bunch of pictures and some details how to use it....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tail-stock-steady-201977

I'm surprised you didn't ask what a "Dictator" was. I just came up with the name right after using this tool the first time, and I think others who have used it will agree it's an appropriate name. I'm sure the inventor won't think that. Also, I'm not slamming the tool because it does what it was designed to do. Ask me.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

smiife
5th June 2016, 05:31 PM
QUOTE=Nubsnstubs;1955760]Smife, click on the link below. It's actually a thread I posted back in January called "Tail Stock Steady". There are a bunch of pictures and some details how to use it....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tail-stock-steady-201977

I'm surprised you didn't ask what a "Dictator" was. I just came up with the name right after using this tool the first time, and I think others who have used it will agree it's an appropriate name. I'm sure the inventor won't think that. Also, I'm not slamming the tool because it does what it was designed to do. Ask me.............. Jerry (in Tucson)[/QUOTE]

O.K.....? What is a Dictator , :U
I am asuming it, s some kind of a tool , with
a lot of grunt, and not hitler!:o

Nubsnstubs
6th June 2016, 12:43 AM
Why, thanks for askin, Smife.:U I have come to call the Kel McNaughton coring tools "The Dictator" because, once you start making cores, you are bound by the shape of the cores. Freehand turning is no longer an option as the succeeding extracted bowl cores now dictates the shape of your next forms. I see it as a quantity v quality thing. McNaughton center saver is a good thing to have, (1) if you like to turn a lot and have the time, (2) are not bothered by predetermined shapes, (3) if you don't have easy access to a lot of wood, it allows you to get the most out of the wood stash you have, and (4), if you have a rare beautiful burl, with the right set, you can get several pieces instead of a bunch of shavings and one piece.

I will state that the tool does exactly what it was designed to do, and does that job extremely well. My opinion is the KM coring tools are mostly for turners that are not hobbyists.

Regarding the Palo Verde bowl pictured above, if I had in possession the McNaughton tool when I started this bowl, I would not have put a foot on it. Instead, I would possibly have gone ahead and made the first core, and made a platter from the remaining piece............ Jerry (in Tucson)