PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening stanley knives

Tiger
20th August 2005, 09:13 AM
G'day all,

Last night while using my stanley knife, I realised I had run out of sharp blades. Does anyone out there know how to sharpen these sort of blades? Normally I'd just run to Bunnies and get some more, but it was too late for that and I was blunting them pretty fast on some carpet strips I was cutting. I did use a stone and while that helped a bit, it didn't match the sharpness of a newly bought blade. Now before anyone tells me that I should have had mpre on hand and that they are cheap, I know this, but woodworkers sharpen all sorts of things like knives etc, but I'd say the thickness of these blades makes them more awkward to handle. Any thoughts appreciated.

CHJ
20th August 2005, 09:52 AM
With blade still mounted in knife handle I kiss them against my White or Blue Wheels (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/blue.htm). (Back uppermost and held near vertical, I do have a side rest as well as a front one on the wheels) I find that this is usually adequate to complete the job. (even in little old Uk with sunday and late night opening hours the nearest store can be a gallon of petrol away)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th August 2005, 09:29 PM
Same as CHJ.

I've an AlOxide wheel (da white one) on my grinder for sharpening my turning tools. Once I've blunted both sides of a Stanley blade (ie. it's already been flipped in the handle) I'll keep touching it up on the grinder until there's only a nubbin left and I have to replace it with a new 'un.

You can only sharpen one side of it this way, as you need a "full" side in the handle to hold it properly. DAMHIKT. :D

I guess a darksider would hone it on paper laminated to sheetglass, taking care to observe proper angles, etc. I find it much quicker to flip a switch and BZZZT. If the angle's wrong, I'll fix that next sharpen. ;)

johnc
20th August 2005, 10:17 PM
If absolutely desperate I'll draw it back and forth over and old oil stone. Steepish angle like scew chidam to recover a bit of edge, but quite frankly couldn't give a toss about getting it really sharp, better to go inside get a beer and wait for the stores to open next day.

JohnC

Harry72
20th August 2005, 10:23 PM
Pull apart one of SWMBO's knife sharpeners, the ones with 2 scraper bar thingys put in the vice and swipe!

johnc
20th August 2005, 11:13 PM
Damn! I've had a sharpener thingy on the wall for years for running fishing knives through, never thought to use it for stanley blades.

JohnC

scooter
22nd August 2005, 06:49 PM
We had carpet installed a while back and the layers first job was to walk around the house scoping out the job as they honed their stanley knives on well worn oilstones.

Same as any sharpening handheld I guess, do it often enough & you'll get the hang of it.

BTW, Irwin make some blades for stanley knives that are supposed to stay sharp for a lot longer than standard ones, and don't break like standard ones either. Unsure of price premium you'd pay for them tho'.

Cheers................Sean

vinnie
22nd August 2005, 08:14 PM
It's usually the point that goes Try grinding the back(the blunt side) until you get a new sharp point. vinnie

Andy Mac
22nd August 2005, 09:02 PM
Being of Scottish descent I do this all the time:D ...I use my finest oil stone, an Arkansas type, and draw the Stanley blade on its original angle or a bit steeper, forward with the cut, not dragging it, which will leave a dag/burr. According to a slaughterman I once shared house with, all knives should be sharpened that way.
I agree about the Sunday night situation, that's why I keep such things as a box of used nails under the bench...finish a job instead of going to town next day to buy a couple of things!

Cheers,