PDA

View Full Version : Casting resin in thicknesser

Stanger
4th June 2016, 09:57 AM
Anyone tried putting timber with casting resin filled knots / grooves through a thicknesser?

I want to know if the blades will chip if i give it a go (prefer to learn from someone elses mistake :U). I know I can sand the board, but I have a lot of resin filled grooves to flatten and would prefer a faster method to remove the bulk of the resin before I start sanding.

Any suggestings would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

scuzyboy
4th June 2016, 10:55 AM
Hi Stranger depends on your blades and is a risk and the casting resins can shatter and get pulled out. What I have done in the past route the resin area with a 3/4 bit working in from the edges then thickness the bulk away. Now I thickness plane first then seal the area with shellac then fill the knots and holes.
Good Luck
Peter

Acoustic and Electric guitars and Basses.

Xanthorrhoeas
4th June 2016, 12:01 PM
I haven't used casting resin but do often fill knots and holes with the Bote Cote Epox-E - Glue and a colouring agent (either dry powder or spirit based colour/stain). The epoxy machines well with a tungsten knife, helical head machine as it is softer than the wood - but only after pre-flattening as below.

Before I put it through the thicknesser I use a chisel and a scraper (buckhorn/two handled) to flatten the lumps as far as possible. Otherwise you are a. looking for a lot of passes through the thicknesser and b. likely to get the filler pulled out because it sticks up too much and the knives will impart a turning motion in it.

Casting resin may be harder than the epoxy but that technique should still work I think.